2nd floor renovation. First set of contractors did a bad job with joists, its a long story. Structural engineer helped us get them to fix it, but the subfloor still had a slope of 1 3/8 over 10 feet, plus a lot of dips and waves.
New contractors decided self-leveling compound would be too heavy for the floor. We already had almost 2 in. of subfloor; they put in another layer of plywood, shimmed, to even things out. Great. Seemed fine. But at the perimeter, where I guess they couldn't get the right thickness plywood, they evened it out with thinset, bridging two pieces of plywood to get it all level.
The thinset doesn't exceed 1/4", thankfully, bc I read elsewhere that anything over that is asking for trouble. But I am troubled that they used thinset. This job got expensive for them and me so I get why they cut costs with thinset, but I've never heard of this. We're putting laminate over the floor, not tile.
3 concerns: overall is this strategy a bad one? also, expansion joints. There are few expansion joints between the plywood sheets themselves and now thinset in some areas covers what expansion joists there are. is that a big problem? my fear is that I'm going to end up with a crunchy, sandy floor. also--is it true that shimming another 5/8 of plywood over the other 2 inches is less weight for the joists than just pouring self leveling compound.
please help us figure this out. we've had a lot of bad experiences with our house.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes