2nd floor renovation. First set of contractors did a bad job with joists, its a long story. Structural engineer helped us get them to fix it, but the subfloor still had a slope of 1 3/8 over 10 feet, plus a lot of dips and waves.
New contractors decided self-leveling compound would be too heavy for the floor. We already had almost 2 in. of subfloor; they put in another layer of plywood, shimmed, to even things out. Great. Seemed fine. But at the perimeter, where I guess they couldn't get the right thickness plywood, they evened it out with thinset, bridging two pieces of plywood to get it all level.
The thinset doesn't exceed 1/4", thankfully, bc I read elsewhere that anything over that is asking for trouble. But I am troubled that they used thinset. This job got expensive for them and me so I get why they cut costs with thinset, but I've never heard of this. We're putting laminate over the floor, not tile.
3 concerns: overall is this strategy a bad one? also, expansion joints. There are few expansion joints between the plywood sheets themselves and now thinset in some areas covers what expansion joists there are. is that a big problem? my fear is that I'm going to end up with a crunchy, sandy floor. also--is it true that shimming another 5/8 of plywood over the other 2 inches is less weight for the joists than just pouring self leveling compound.
please help us figure this out. we've had a lot of bad experiences with our house.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs