2nd floor renovation. First set of contractors did a bad job with joists, its a long story. Structural engineer helped us get them to fix it, but the subfloor still had a slope of 1 3/8 over 10 feet, plus a lot of dips and waves.
New contractors decided self-leveling compound would be too heavy for the floor. We already had almost 2 in. of subfloor; they put in another layer of plywood, shimmed, to even things out. Great. Seemed fine. But at the perimeter, where I guess they couldn't get the right thickness plywood, they evened it out with thinset, bridging two pieces of plywood to get it all level.
The thinset doesn't exceed 1/4", thankfully, bc I read elsewhere that anything over that is asking for trouble. But I am troubled that they used thinset. This job got expensive for them and me so I get why they cut costs with thinset, but I've never heard of this. We're putting laminate over the floor, not tile.
3 concerns: overall is this strategy a bad one? also, expansion joints. There are few expansion joints between the plywood sheets themselves and now thinset in some areas covers what expansion joists there are. is that a big problem? my fear is that I'm going to end up with a crunchy, sandy floor. also--is it true that shimming another 5/8 of plywood over the other 2 inches is less weight for the joists than just pouring self leveling compound.
please help us figure this out. we've had a lot of bad experiences with our house.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY