2nd floor renovation. First set of contractors did a bad job with joists, its a long story. Structural engineer helped us get them to fix it, but the subfloor still had a slope of 1 3/8 over 10 feet, plus a lot of dips and waves.
New contractors decided self-leveling compound would be too heavy for the floor. We already had almost 2 in. of subfloor; they put in another layer of plywood, shimmed, to even things out. Great. Seemed fine. But at the perimeter, where I guess they couldn't get the right thickness plywood, they evened it out with thinset, bridging two pieces of plywood to get it all level.
The thinset doesn't exceed 1/4", thankfully, bc I read elsewhere that anything over that is asking for trouble. But I am troubled that they used thinset. This job got expensive for them and me so I get why they cut costs with thinset, but I've never heard of this. We're putting laminate over the floor, not tile.
3 concerns: overall is this strategy a bad one? also, expansion joints. There are few expansion joints between the plywood sheets themselves and now thinset in some areas covers what expansion joists there are. is that a big problem? my fear is that I'm going to end up with a crunchy, sandy floor. also--is it true that shimming another 5/8 of plywood over the other 2 inches is less weight for the joists than just pouring self leveling compound.
please help us figure this out. we've had a lot of bad experiences with our house.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs