- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 9: Two More Porch Renovations
Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 9, Part 3
Bob joins homeowner Jim Verity, whose front and side porch are under renovation. On the side of the house, Contractor Steve Barnes has begun demolition, and new LVLs and floor joists are going in. Out front, Bob talks with the installer and Bill Hopkins (from Forester Moulding and Lumber) about the new front railing. All the while, landscape work is underway-- hydroseeding and installation of a new sprinkler and security systems.
- Part 1: House Eight: Side Porch Renovation, Landscaping, and Home Inspection
- Part 2: Installing Sprinkler System and Replicating Porch Balusters & Railing
- Part 3: Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
- Landscapers plant arborvitaes along the driveway. When the plantings mature, they will provide a privacy screen. On the side entrance, the columns are back in place and supporting a bay window. The roof has been restructured with new dimensional lumber and LVLs from Georgia Pacific.
In addition, an alarm system by ADT is installed. Sensors are placed in about a dozen locations on the doors and windows. These sensors are monitored by motion detectors and a wireless transmitter that is connected to a central control panel, which will prompt police response if activated.
John Ferrari (from Greens Keeping) is hydro-seeding the lawn. On the front porch, general contractor Brian Wiggin and his crew from Regal Home improvements are installing the balusters and composite railing from Forester Moulding and Lumber. The pieces are pre-fit to accommodate the irregularities in the existing structure. After a coat of primer, this section of the balustrade will be finished. Installing the balustrade on the stairs presents its own challenges.
- Part 4: Finishing Touches on the Two Porches
The theme of community building in the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, is the focus of this project. Rather than tackling one house, Bob Vila is helping 11 neighbors tackle smaller projects like porches, kitchens, bathrooms, and even a third-floor artist's studio.
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How often do termite queens lay eggs?