- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 9: Two More Porch Renovations
Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
Bob joins homeowner Jim Verity, whose front and side porch are under renovation. On the side of the house, Contractor Steve Barnes has begun demolition, and new LVLs and floor joists are going in. Out front, Bob talks with the installer and Bill Hopkins (from Forester Moulding and Lumber) about the new front railing. All the while, landscape work is underway-- hydroseeding and installation of a new sprinkler and security systems.
- Part 1: House Eight: Side Porch Renovation, Landscaping, and Home Inspection
- Part 2: Installing Sprinkler System and Replicating Porch Balusters & Railing
- Part 3: Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
- Landscapers plant arborvitaes along the driveway. When the plantings mature, they will provide a privacy screen. On the side entrance, the columns are back in place and supporting a bay window. The roof has been restructured with new dimensional lumber and LVLs from Georgia Pacific.
In addition, an alarm system by ADT is installed. Sensors are placed in about a dozen locations on the doors and windows. These sensors are monitored by motion detectors and a wireless transmitter that is connected to a central control panel, which will prompt police response if activated.
John Ferrari (from Greens Keeping) is hydro-seeding the lawn. On the front porch, general contractor Brian Wiggin and his crew from Regal Home improvements are installing the balusters and composite railing from Forester Moulding and Lumber. The pieces are pre-fit to accommodate the irregularities in the existing structure. After a coat of primer, this section of the balustrade will be finished. Installing the balustrade on the stairs presents its own challenges.
- Part 4: Finishing Touches on the Two Porches
The theme of community building in the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, is the focus of this project. Rather than tackling one house, Bob Vila is helping 11 neighbors tackle smaller projects like porches, kitchens, bathrooms, and even a third-floor artist's studio.
Also from Elmwood Neighborhood
In the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, Bob talks with Mary Turkel and Bob Major (from the Providence Preservation Cooperative) about the changes taking place in the area. Bob also meets Jane and Luke Driver, whose kitchen renovation is one of the smaller scale projects Bob plans to cover. As demolition work begins, so too does plumbing and electrical. Also to come is a new kitchen floor made from reclaimed Pine.
At the Gothic Carpenter-style home in the Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, plaster and blue board are going up, and the pine floor is going down.<br> <br> In addition to a granite countertop, new Whirlpool appliances are installed. Other new features in the kitchen include Shrock cabinets, a Vermont Castings gas stove, and lighting design (from Markus Earley) that depends on Restoration-style fixtures from Rejuvenation Lamp & Fixture Co. Outside, contractor Brian Wiggin completes the new deck.
Bob visits Pat and Roger Simons, homeowners undertaking a bathroom renovation. The plan is to redesign the layout, but keep some of the original features-- the mosaic tiles in the floor, for example.<br> <br> Bob helps Terry Bates (from Mult-R) with the demolition, and carpenter Bob Ryley is on hand to help with the insulation. A new tub is put in, along with a new stackable washer/dryer.<br> <br> Lighting designer Markus Earley talks about the lighting in the new bathroom, plus an innovative hydronic heating system.<br> <br> Last, Bob goes to Pat's studio, where her daughter, PK, is helping create a beautiful tile mural that will go in the shower.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers