Why It Made the Cut: State Farm offers high personal property coverage options, a generous bundling discount, and the option for a mine subsidence endorsement.
State Farm’s standard personal property coverage is typically 75 percent of the policy’s dwelling limit, but Illinois customers have the option to increase their personal property coverage to up to 150 percent of their dwelling amount, which could help if they have a lot of possessions that they would like to insure. Also, Illinois policyholders can purchase an extra endorsement that offers additional protection if their home is damaged due to ground movement related to local mines.
While the company offers a generous 35 percent discount on home and auto bundles, it offers relatively few additional discounts. However, the company’s A++ AM Best rating—the highest available—can give policyholders peace of mind that their insurance provider is in good financial standing. In addition, State Farm offers homeowners a free smart device to monitor for electrical fires, plus an online platform to speak with assigned agents virtually.
- Quote process: Online, phone, agent
- Claims process: App, online, phone, agent
- Deductibles: 0.5 percent, 1 percent to 5 percent, $5,000 or $10,000
- Discounts: Multipolicy, protective device, claim-free
- AM Best rating: A++
- High personal property coverage of up to 150 percent of dwelling limit
- Mine subsidence endorsement available
- Generous 35 percent discount on home and auto bundles available
- Smart-technology fire safety devices available for free
- Convenient virtual agent support via online video meetings
- A++ AM Best rating
- Somewhat limited discount opportunities