Rolling chairs make getting in position at a desk or table incredibly easy and convenient. But chair wheels wreak havoc on floors in the process, and chairs without wheels can do even more damage. If you’re tired of ruining your carpeted floors or area rugs with wheels and chair legs, a mat can be the solution. This mat will protect the carpet underneath while also making it easier to slide or roll the chair in or out. Keep reading to learn why the following picks are among the best chair mat for carpet surfaces available.
- BEST OVERALL: Evolve Clear Office Chair Mat With Rounded Corners
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: OFM Office Chair Mat for Carpet
- UPGRADE PICK: Marvelux Heavy-Duty Polycarbonate Chair Mat
- BEST FOR LOW PILE: Dimex Clear Rectangle Office Chair Mat
- BEST FOR MEDIUM-PILE: DoubleCheck Products Office Chair Mat
- BEST FOR HIGH PILE: Floortex Polycarbonate Chair Mat
- BEST DECORATIVE: Anji Mountain Rug’d Collection Chair Mat
- BEST MULTI-SURFACE: Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat
How We Chose the Best Chair Mats for Carpet
Years of experience covering home and office products as well as extensive product research went into creating this guide. We explored more than 25 chair mat options and weighed a number of practical considerations before choosing our recommended picks.
- Material: While we primarily included chair mats made from polycarbonate plastic, we also wanted to add variety for different user needs and price points by including glass, PVC, and fabric options.
- Thickness: Since chair mat thickness is a key consideration, we omitted any products that were less than 2 millimeters thick.
- Value: Chair mat prices vary based on style and material, so we aimed to feature products that offered excellent value regardless of their material or price point.
Our Top Picks
This list features some of the best chair mats for carpet options that accommodate different budgets and pile heights, so compare each carefully before making a decision.
Those looking to protect the carpets underneath their desk chair or other furniture will want to give this Evolve studded chair mat a look. This sturdy piece of PVC comes in sizes from 44 to 60 inches long by 33 to 45 inches wide, offering coverage for a variety of chairs. All sizes are shaped with rounded corners to provide users more space on the mat itself with less chance of rolling off compared to square-cornered mats.
The Evolve chair mat contains 0.11 inches of material. It will resist sinking from wheels or chair legs, with no curling or bending. It has durable studs underneath to grip onto most surfaces without slipping.
- Material: PVC
- Sizes: 44 to 60 inches long by 33 to 45 inches wide
- Thickness: 0.11 inches
- Available in multiple sizes to suit the majority of office chair users
- Studs under the mat help dig into carpets to prevent moving or sliding during use
- Rounded corners on the mat provide more surface area and reduce the chance of rolling off
- Heavier users may create dents in the mat itself over time, reducing its effectiveness
Get the Evolve office chair mat for carpet at Amazon, Lowe’s, or The Home Depot.
Anyone hunting for budget-minded floor protection will want to check out OFM’s chair mat. This polyurethane mat with a lip comes in a large size: 48 inches long by 36 inches wide, providing ample coverage for even the largest chairs and office spaces.
This mat features an extended lip that slides underneath a desk for maximum protection. It contains durable studs that grip onto office carpets, ensuring the mat doesn’t slide around underneath a chair. There’s a nonslip surface on top of this mat as well, providing better footing for ergonomics and safety.
- Material: Polyurethane
- Sizes: 48 inches long by 36 inches wide
- Thickness: 2.2 millimeters
- Anti-slip top surface is easier to move on for users
- Available in either carpet or hard floor mat options
- Studs on the underside of the mat help prevent sliding during use
- Only available in 1 size; may not suit all office areas
Get the OFM chair mat for carpet at Amazon or Ashley Furniture.
For a high-end approach to carpet protection, check out the Marvelux chair mat. Marvelux makes this mat from heavy-duty polycarbonate thermoplastic, giving it the strength and durability necessary to support wheels and chair legs. It comes in several sizes, including 48 inches long by 30 inches wide, 48 inches long by 36 inches wide, 53 inches long by 47 inches wide, 51 inches long by 48 inches wide, and 60 inches long by 48 inches wide. This wide variety means there’s an option for almost any chair or office setup. The specially designed stud pattern will keep this chair mat in place on carpets up to 0.5 inch thick.
- Material: Polycarbonate
- Sizes: 48 to 60 inches long by 30 to 48 inches wide
- Thickness: 2.54 millimeters
- Constructed from polycarbonate thermoplastic; durable and flexible
- Many size options available to suit a wide range of office sizes
- Thin yet durable design remains discrete on the floor while protecting the carpet
- Smaller stud sizes on the underside may result in this mat slipping on certain carpets
Get the Marvelux chair mat for carpet at Amazon.
When it comes to chair mats, low-pile carpets can cause some difficulties. The studs on the back of this Dimex mat keep it in place on carpets 0.375 inch thick or less. Made from durable BPA-free and phthalate-free plastic, it won’t bend or curl under pressure. Shoppers will want to note, however, that the mat arrives rolled up in a tube, so they’ll need to give it some time to flatten out.
This mat is available in four sizes: 48 inches long by 36 inches wide, 53 inches long by 45 inches wide, and 60 inches long by 46 inches wide. The mat also features a lightly textured top surface, providing some grip for sliding in and out.
- Material: Vinyl
- Sizes: 48 to 60 inches long by 36 to 46 inches wide
- Thickness: 0.1 inches
- Lightly textured top surface helps prevent slips and slides
- Stays firmly in place on low-pile carpets and rugs
- Arrives rolled up in a compact box, which unrolls and flattens easily
- Heavier use can start to make small cracks in this mat over time
- Some users report a strong chemical plastic odor when first opening the package
Get the Dimex chair mat for carpet at Amazon, The Home Depot, or Overstock.
Thicker-pile carpets require a firm approach, and this chair mat fits the bill, with polycarbonate thermoplastic measuring 0.125 inch thick. The mat has durable studs that grip onto medium-pile carpets for a sure fit.
This DoubleCheck Products mat is available in 48 inches long by 36 inches wide with or without a lip. These mats are also highly transparent, making them a good choice for anyone with a decorative carpet or rug they don’t want to hide underneath a hazy chair mat.
- Material: Polycarbonate
- Sizes: 48 inches long by 36 inches wide
- Thickness: 0.125 inches
- Constructed from polycarbonate plastic; durable and less likely to crack
- Available as either a rectangle mat or with a lip; suitable for most office needs
- Ultratransparent design helps decorative rugs and carpets shine through
- Limited sizes available may not suit all office sizes
Get the DoubleCheck Products chair mat for carpet at Amazon.
This mat from Floortex is specifically designed for use with plush area rugs and high-pile carpeting. It’s made from durable polycarbonate plastic that’s crafted to resist curling and flexing on carpeted floors. The top surface is lightly textured, making for a smoother gliding motion when used with wheeled office chairs.
Shoppers can choose from three sizes depending on their office setup: 47 inches long by 35 inches wide, 53 inches long by 48 inches wide, and 60 inches long by 48 inches wide. The material is totally translucent, making this mat a subtle addition to any office space.
- Material: Polycarbonate
- Sizes: 47 to 60 inches long by 35 to 48 inches wide
- Thickness: 0.11 inches
- Available in both lipped and rectangular shapes to suit user preferences
- Durable polycarbonate material works well on thicker and plush carpets
- Transparent plastic mat is great for a concealed look, allowing the floor to show through
- Can start to shift gradually over time and may need relocating
Get the Floortex chair mat for carpet at Amazon.
While transparent chair mats are meant to blend seamlessly into a space’s existing decor style, this chair mat from the Anji Mountain Rug’d Collection is designed to stand out. Shoppers can choose from multiple color and pattern options, from bold, colorful prints to more subdued, neutral designs.
These mats are made from jacquard-woven polyester rather than plastic or glass and are therefore best suited for protecting hard surfaces and low-pile rugs. Each one includes rubberized dots on the underside to ensure it stays in place and a PVC core that provides additional support.
- Material: Polyester and PVC
- Sizes: 48 to 54 inches long by 36 to 40 inches wide
- Thickness: 0.25 inches or 0.5 inches
- Huge selection of design options available; suitable for most shoppers’ styles
- Supportive PVC middle layer helps protect the floor from frequent office chair use
- Tightly woven material for high performance should stand up to heavy-duty use
- On the smaller side compared to other options; users may wish for slightly more chair space
Get the Anji Mountain chair mat for carpet at Amazon, Costco, Staples, or Anji Mountain.
Since rugs and carpets naturally compress when there’s weight on them, there’s a risk of a glass mat cracking or breaking. This option from Lorell, however, is made from durable tempered glass that’s 0.25 inches thick and has a total weight capacity of 1,000 pounds. Due to its construction, it’s compatible with all surface types, from hardwood and tile to rugs of all pile heights.
The chair mat’s surface is scratch-resistant and the mat is totally transparent, allowing the home’s flooring to shine through. One downside is that this model only comes in a square-shaped design in a single size, although Lorell does offer other sizes and shapes in addition to this particular model.
- Material: Tempered glass
- Sizes: 46 inches long by 36 inches wide
- Thickness: 0.25 inches
- Scratch-resistant surface will still look good even after heavy use
- Supports up to 1,000 pounds; suitable for most office users
- Ideal for all flooring types; can still be used even if the office gets redecorated
- The glass surface can tend to produce loud noises, which may disturb others
Get the Lorell chair mat for carpet at Amazon, Overstock, Office Depot, or Lorell Furniture.
What to Consider When Choosing a Chair Mat for Carpet
Chair mats for carpets are built with studs on the bottom that are suitable for different piles, and there are other features to consider, like antistatic and antimicrobial properties. Make sure to keep these points in mind when choosing the best chair mat for carpet in the home or office.
Chair mats come in a variety of materials like tempered glass, plastic, rubber, and PVC. But the best material for a chair mat on a carpeted surface is polycarbonate plastic. This material is a thermoplastic that’s incredibly durable, easy to mold, and often see-through. It remains flat without breaking or bunching underneath the wheels or legs of a chair.
Carpet compresses underneath wheels and feet, so tempered-glass chair mats are susceptible to breaking, and rubber mats make rolling difficult. Polycarbonate plastic is flexible but remains easy to roll or scoot a chair upon—excellent properties for a chair mat placed on carpet.
Dimensions and Shape
Chair mats for carpet come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The larger the desk or table, the larger the mat must be to adequately protect the carpet underneath. For a standard desk and chair setup, a 48-inch-long by 36-inch-wide mat is usually sufficient. Smaller desks can go with downsized versions, while a table might require something a bit wider.
Many of the best chair mats for carpet surfaces also feature an extended lip that sits underneath the desk. This lip will typically protect the carpet underneath an office desk from the frontmost wheel of an office chair.
Carpets and area rugs come in different pile heights, which is basically the fluffiness of the carpet. High-pile carpets are thick and plush, while low-pile carpets are thin and durable. Carpet mats have tiny studs in the bottom to grip the surface of the carpet, so the pile height is an important factor.
Mats for low-pile carpets are typically shorter, while higher-pile mats have longer studs to keep them in place. While using a shorter stud might work on a high-pile carpet, a longer stud won’t allow the mat to sit properly on a low-pile carpet.
How well the chair mat keeps its shape and holds up to frequent use will have a lot to do with mat thickness. Generally speaking, the best mats are between 3 and 5 millimeters thick, as this thickness provides enough strength and rigidity to resist pressure caused by four desk chair legs or five wheels.
There are thinner mats, but they might not work as well on carpeted surfaces. These mats tend to sink or bunch underneath a wheel, making it challenging to roll across their surfaces. They’ll protect the carpet but might be frustrating to use.
Mats for hard surfaces like hardwood floors, tile, and vinyl floors are smooth underneath so they can lay completely flat. That’s not the case for carpet mats.
As touched upon earlier, the best chair mat for carpet will have studs underneath. These studs act like little cleats, holding the mat securely in place. The studs keep the mat from scooting around as the chair is adjusted. They’re absolutely necessary for getting the best results out of the chair mat on a textured surface.
There are a few other features shoppers might find appealing, making one product more suitable for their needs over another. For example, some chair mats are antistatic, which could be helpful for reducing the odds of shocking a laptop or keyboard from energy built up while rolling.
Nonslip textures on the top of the chair mat can be a big help as well, offering a more ergonomic grip for pushing an office chair out from under a desk.
Shoppers might even find chair mats for carpet that are antimicrobial, meaning they’ll reduce the chance of mold or mildew growing underneath. If the office or home has a humidity problem, this might be an appealing feature.
If you still have some questions about the best chair mats for carpet, this section is for you. It’s a collection of some of the most frequently asked questions about the best mats for carpet, so be sure to check below to see if there’s an answer to your question.
Q. Are chair mats bad for carpet floors?
A heavy floor mat, such as tempered glass, will wear a carpet down sooner than a mat designed especially for carpet. But in general, a chair is worse for a carpet than a mat.
Q. How do I choose a chair mat for carpet?
The first consideration is finding a mat designed for the pile of your carpet. The studs on the mat should fit with the pile height. Then, you’ll want to find a size that works for your space. There are other features to consider as well, such as antistatic and antimicrobial properties.
Q. What is the difference between a beveled-edge mat and a straight-edge mat?
A beveled edge acts as a miniature ramp, allowing users to roll on and off of the mat easily. It’s a handy feature for thicker mats.
Q. How do I get a new chair mat to lay flat?
The best way to flatten a chair mat is to leave it outside in direct sunlight on a sunny day. Allow it to warm up and lay flat. Then, bring the mat inside and lay it flat until it cools and hardens completely.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.