A power recliner offers relaxation in ways not even the most comfortable couch can provide. With motorized manipulations, power recliners include options to achieve ideal positioning and can take stress off the back, legs, and even neck. Depending on a shopper’s needs, these chairs may also be able to recharge electronics or even tilt and raise the seat to help users get up safely.
There are many different styles and extra options to consider when shopping for a power recliner. In order to weed through the possibilities, the following curated list of some of the best power recliner chairs around today can be a helpful starting point for that next major furniture purchase. Read on to learn about some important features to consider when searching for the perfect power recliner fit and check out our list of Top Picks.
- BEST OVERALL: Three Posts Faux Leather Power Lift Recliner
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Mcombo 7050 Electric Power Heat and Massage Recliner
- BEST POWER LIFT: Ashley Yandel Power Lift Recliner
- BEST HEAT AND MASSAGE: Latitude Run Heated Massage Recliner
- BEST WITH HEADREST: Valencia Theater Seating Tuscany Headrest Recliner
- BEST BIG-AND-TALL: Red Barrel Studio Oversize Lift Assist Power Recliner
- BEST FOR THE TV ROOM: Game Zone Dual Power Recliner
- BEST IN LEATHER: Palliser ZG5 Zero Gravity Leather Recliner
- BEST SPACE-SAVING: Carson Carrington Wall Hugger USB Port Recliner
How We Chose the Best Power Recliners
While reviewing the best power recliners, the first factor that comes to mind is size. It’s also one of the more variable traits among the power recliners on the market. From seat widths for various hip sizes to chair widths that impact delivery, it’s a smart idea to do a lot of measuring before purchasing a power recliner.
Price is another key factor we considered, as a power recliner can easily cost more than a large couch. Durability can drive up prices, so how much does longevity matter to you? A higher price tag doesn’t always reflect a more premium upholstery material (such as leather), but many leather options come with longer warranty and repair contracts through the manufacturer.
We curated a durable group of power recliner chairs and tried to bring forward the best of what’s available today. Both typical overstuffed models as well as sleek, modern designs are included. There is a range of sizes included on this list, as recliners need to match the user, and one recliner definitely does not fit all.
Our Top Picks
With so many options to consider, it feels like power recliners are available in a seemingly endless number of options. From big and tall to cushy and small, there’s an ideal power recliner for most every space and user. The recliners included in the top picks list all share motorized convenience and customized comfort, and they make up some of the best power recliners in specific categories.
This Three Posts massaging recliner chair features four massage zones that work on thighs, lower legs, back, and lumbar areas. Users can choose between five rhythm options, including pulse and wave modes, and two intensity levels in addition to a heat function in the backrest. It’s covered in soft faux leather, has a thick back cushion, and sports a large headrest. This recliner features two reclining positions and a lift function that enables those with limited ability to get in and out of the seat easily by raising them to a standing position.
A backup battery operates the lift in case of a power outage. Additional features include cupholders and a side pocket for remotes and magazines. At 42 inches high by 32 inches wide by 28 inches deep, this recliner offers a smaller profile than traditional recliners, making it a good option for tight spaces, although it does require 64.5 inches of clearance to recline fully.
- Dimensions: 42 inches high by 32 inches wide by 28 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 25 inches
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Features multiple massage options; great for relaxing and unwinding
- Available in 3 modern faux-leather colors; able to suit many home styles
- Has 2 cupholders and multiple pockets; great for storage and mitigating spilled drinks
- Massage functions can be quite loud when active; may disturb users while they’re watching TV
Get the Three Posts power recliner at Wayfair.
The Mcombo 7050 electric power recliner has the convenience of motorized recliner positions with a healthy serving of bells and whistles. Adjust the headrest and footrest on the recliner chair and soothe sore muscles with massage and heat functions while sitting or reclining. Keep drinks handy with two integrated cupholders and place remotes in the front or side storage pockets while charging smart devices with the two built-in USB ports.
While it has a lower price tag than the average power recliner, there are limited customizations: The chair only comes in polyester material, but there are several possible color options available.
- Dimensions:41 inches high by 34.6 inches wide by 30.7 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 16.5 inches
- Weight capacity: 320 pounds
- Easy cleaning with a damp or dry cloth; great material for frequent use
- 3-step assembly is very straightforward; suitable for most users to build
- Heat and massage controller includes intensity, mode presets, and timer
- Affordable, basic power recliner chair with lots of included features
- Not for tall users; recommended height is from 5-foot-1-inch- to 5-foot-9-inch-tall users
- Does not fully recline; max reclining angle is 140 degrees
Get the Mcombo power recliner at Amazon or Mcombo.
With this power recliner chair’s dual motors, users can adjust the footrest and back independently for ultimate comfort. This power lift chair recliner offers easy sitting for those with limited mobility, like older adults or those with physical limitations. The lift chair’s simple operation makes it easy to adjust. There are multiple options to customize the seat, footrest, and back, so the power recliner chair can be set for ideal personal comfort.
Power lift recliners aren’t just for use by older adults who may need a more reliable way to sit or stand up from a soft seat. They can also be helpful during times of recovering from injury or as an investment in a piece of furniture that can be used for decades.The Yandel power lift recliner also comes with a backup battery system in case of power outages.
- Dimensions:44 inches high by 35 inches wide by 40 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 16 inches
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Includes a simple 1-touch operation and backup battery system
- Polyester upholstery is durable yet soft; available in 2 colors to match many styles
- Side storage pockets allow easy access for regularly used items
- Dual motors allow independent adjustment of the footrest and back
- No lumbar or headrest adjustment feature; can be a deal breaker for some shoppers
- Does not offer lay-flat reclining; can be less comfortable for long naps
- Only 1 upholstery option; may not be suitable for all home decor styles
Get the Ashley Yandel power recliner at Amazon, Ashley Homestore, Overstock, or Target.
This heat and massage recliner by Latitude Run is made using a durable faux polyurethane leather in a rich brown or black. The high-density sponge cushioning provides users a comfortable seat after a long day. It offers massage functions in eight points to take care of legs, thighs, lower back, and upper back, with each area able to switch between pulse, press, wave, auto, and normal operating modes. Side pockets arrange reading material or remotes to keep them in easy reach.
Adding in the timer-driven heat functions, this power recliner with massage functions may become the most desired seat in the home for lengthy relaxation sessions. It also swivels a full 360 degrees and can rock back and forth.
- Dimensions: 42.5 inches high by 33.8 inches wide by 35.8 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 18 inches
- Weight capacity: 440 pounds
- Impressive weight capacity of up to 440 pounds; suitable for most user sizes
- Includes multiple heating and massaging options across several body areas
- Can swivel and rock back and forth for an extra-comfortable recliner
- This option comes in limited color choices; just brown or black
Get the Latitude Run power recliner at Wayfair.
Shoppers looking to recreate the comfort of high-end theater chairs in their own home may want to consider this option from Valencia Theater Seating. Its Tuscany recliner is made from top-grain leather, available in either black or dark chocolate tones, and includes thick and comfortable cushions to provide the perfect seating area to enjoy the entire day.
Standout features of this recliner include lumbar support, adjustable headrest settings, massage features, USB charging ports, and an LED-lit cupholder to help guide users to their drink of choice while enjoying a movie experience in a darkened room.
Additionally, while most recliners usually require significant back clearance, this model reclines in such a way that it can be placed just 5 inches from the wall. The diamond stitched leather pattern is also a timeless look that looks great and never goes out of style.
- Dimensions: 43.5 inches high by 37.5 inches wide by 40 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 5 inches
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Highly customizable options, accessories, faux-leather color, and more
- Minimal back clearance required is just 5 inches; helpful for fitting into small spaces
- Great adjustability; can meet many user preferences for sitting and reclining
- Seat can initially be quite firm; needs time to wear in
Get the Valencia Theater Seating power recliner at Amazon or Valencia Theater Seating.
This Red Barrel Studio oversize power recliner offers power recline options in three modern fabric colors—camel, gray, or blue—that easily fit into many decor styles. Built on a steel seat box and boasting heavy-duty reclining mechanisms, this pick for best big-and-tall recliner comes with eight vibration massage areas with oversize plush cushions. With a 330-pound weight capacity, these big-and-tall power recliner chairs are designed to hold up to just about anything.
The Red Barrel Studio recliner offers 10 massage modes for the shin, thigh, lumbar, and shoulder areas. Users can take advantage of the included remote control to pick their ideal settings.
- Dimensions: 41.5 inches high by 41 inches wide by 38 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 10 inches
- Weight capacity: 330 pounds
- Features multiple massage areas and options with remote control; including heating
- Sturdy materials used makes this option suitable for larger users; up to 330 pounds
- Oversize cushions provide plenty of room to cuddle up and relax
- Absorbent microfiber material can be troublesome to clean spillages properly
Get the Red Barrel Studio power recliner at Wayfair.
This chair might be the family room’s new favorite control center. It has cupholders, armrest storage compartments, a USB charging port, and an adjustable headrest. With a stylish nailhead design on durable faux-leather upholstery, this power recliner is commanding while still soft enough to spend an afternoon binging an entire season of a favorite show, gaming, or catching a full day of playoffs.
With one-touch power controls on the side, users can easily adjust the chair from seated to reclining positions with one hand. Motorized controls also lift and lower the footrest, enabling maximum comfort after a long day. To outfit the home theater room with this power recliner, grab one for every member of the family or choose the sofa or love seat versions to sit closely together.
- Dimensions: 44 inches high by 39 inches wide by 40 inches deep
- Required back clearance:8.5 inches
- Weight capacity: Unspecified
- Quick assembly estimated at 15 minutes; easy to set up
- Hidden armrest storage in both arms for remotes and more
- Quick cleanup with a damp or dry cloth in case of spills
- Built with metal reinforced seat and corner-blocked frame for durability
- No upholstery or color choices; may not suit all home styles or decors
- Doesn’t lie flat; not the best if used often for napping
Get the Game Zone power recliner at Ashley or Overstock.
The Palliser leather power recliner offers the luxurious feel and durability of real leather (with partial leather options for the cost conscious). Customize the upholstery with various grades of leather in this sumptuous power recliner, choose a blend of leather on main chair touch points such as the armrests and the seat, and “color match” leather on larger sections like the sides and back. Make it truly customized with a choice of chrome or wooden legs to match existing decor.
When it comes to lying back, get the most relaxing recline with “zero-gravity” power recline options, named for its similarity to how astronauts are positioned in rockets. Zero-gravity chairs are noted to be great for tired or swollen feet, legs, or backs. Zero gravity also has claimed benefits for circulation, lymphatic drainage, and even lessening anxiety. Adjust the seat to the perfect degree with an adjustable headrest pillow and a one-touch power-recline mechanism.
- Dimensions:45 inches high by 33 inches wide by 41 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 20 inches
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Dozens of leather color and grain options to fit shopper preferences
- Full chaise-style seat cushions for comfort
- Zero-gravity reclining position; great for swollen feet or legs
- Hidden 1-touch control panel on inside arm
- Premium materials used in construction is reflected in the higher price tag
- Made-to-order process extends delivery timeline; can take several months for a custom unit
Get the Palliser power recliner at LeatherShoppes.
To fit big comfort in a small recliner, consider a “wall hugger” model that doesn’t need a lot of space behind it. After all, power recliners don’t have to be the biggest piece of furniture in the room. Once the chair is inside, maneuver it easily, assemble it quickly (specifications estimate 15 minutes for assembly), and lean back and relax.
This power recliner offers a narrow seat width of just 22 inches and is ideal for more petite users, according to specifications. The footrest offers a chaise pad for excellent comfort when reclining back. Power recline using the discreetly placed one-touch buttons on the inside of the armrest beside the convenient USB charger.
- Dimensions: 41.5 inches high by 29 inches wide by 35 inches deep
- Required back clearance: 4 inches
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Multiple color choices and polyester material is easy to clean
- Convenient built-in USB charger keeps devices charged and accessible
- High-density foam cushions offer support and comfort to users
- Slim seat width of 22 inches is not built for big, tall, or heavy users
Get the Carson Carrington power recliner at Overstock.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Power Recliners
Power recliners can be excellent options for premium relaxation. But before deciding on a new recliner chair, consider and compare some key features first. Beyond the type, size, upholstery, and other details, power recliners need access to a power source to operate. While some can be powered from a battery pack as a backup, they are designed for outlet power and will need to be situated near a convenient power source.
Types of Power Recliners
Power recliners come in many different designs to fit a range of tastes and ergonomic requirements. While all power recliners need power to operate, some come with (or can accommodate) a supplemental battery pack so they can operate temporarily during a power outage.
There are big-and-tall styles along with chairs that allow users to rock or swivel as needed. Especially helpful for older adults or those with limited mobility, a lift chair recliner tilts its seat to help users get up or sit down more easily. If looking for a chair to share with the whole family that has lots of reclining or power chair options, consider a recliner sofa or a seat-and-a-half power recliner.
Because power recliners use a motor (or series of motors) to recline, they offer more options than a traditional manual recliner chair. Oftentimes the head, neck, and back positions can be adjusted, as well as the leg and foot positions.
Since power recliners’ adjustments are made with electronic buttons, users are usually not limited to a set number of positions. They often can be adjusted in multiple ways for individual users’ comfort. Some power recliners also offer adjustable head and lumbar area support. The best power recliners allow reclining back to a comfortable and supported position and can even make good spots for napping.
In addition to traditional recliner features, some power recliners offer motorized adjustments. With designs referred to as “wall huggers” or “wall recliners,” the chair moves forward to recline instead of moving backward to recline, allowing the chair’s base to be placed closer to a wall.
Power recliners take up about the same amount of space as a normal recliner or stuffed armchair. Before searching for a new chair, it’s important to determine who will be using the chair, where the power recliner will be placed, and how much space is available.
The best size options often depend on the space limitations in the room and the size of the user. Modern power recliners offer different models for “big-and-tall” users that can accommodate heavier weights or taller users with additional cushioning or extended chair sizes.
Some models of power recliners can also fit into smaller spaces without sacrificing comfort. These power recliners for small spaces can be great for smaller rooms or for moving the chair through narrow hallways or stairways. Carefully measure the intended space, as well as necessary entry doorways, hallways, and staircases, before making a final decision on a power recliner to ensure it can easily be installed in the space.
Beyond price and style, space is probably one of the biggest considerations for a power recliner. Measuring the intended spot for the chair and comparing it to chair measurements will help narrow the options. Most recliners fall into one of three sizes and require the following space:
- Small power recliners that are usually 30 inches wide require a space that’s about 35 inches in width.
- Medium power recliners that are usually 32 to 38 inches wide require a space that’s about 40 to 45 inches in width.
- Large power recliners that are usually 40 to 44 inches wide require a space that’s about 50 inches in width or more.
For all chairs, 5 inches between the top of the chair when fully reclined and the wall or any nearby furniture is needed to provide the appropriate head clearance for most average-size users. Remember to also measure doorway width, as enough space is needed for chair delivery.
Upholstery options for power recliners vary seemingly infinitely. There are options for different fabric styles from leather and fabric to synthetic materials that are great for repelling spills and stains. Often brands offer custom fabric choices, so it’s possible to match unique style preferences or match the chair to existing furniture in a home.
Many of the best power recliners also offer luxurious leather material options as well as synthetic materials and eco-friendly fabrics. Consider the style of the home and all the potential users for the chair when deciding on a fabric. Some fabrics can be cleaned more easily or wiped down when spills or pet messes occur, while many fabric treatments offer stain resistance or even antimicrobial features. If there is a specific need, talk to a furniture dealer about cleaning options and compare potential repair costs for specific types of power-recliner materials.
While many reclining positions are available with the press of a few buttons, there are also many other conveniences to consider. Some power recliners come with additional options such as built-in cupholders, spaces to hold remotes or reading materials, or massage and heat functions. One of the most unique aspects of a power recliner is the customizable features offered with some models.
Because power recliners require electricity, many now come with convenient USB outlets for charging smartphones and other devices. These power chairs can also include optional massage and heat functions for ultimate relaxation. Finally, power recliners can swivel, rock, or even tilt and lift to help a user sit or stand up more easily.
Q. What is a power lift recliner?
A power lift chair or recliner is an armchair that can lift at an angle to help the user sit or stand up.
Q. How long should a power recliner last?
With proper care and maintenance on motorized parts, power recliners can outlast manual models. Performing regular cleaning of the base and underneath the chair helps keep the power mechanism operating correctly and prevent overheating.
In addition, keep the chair in a warm and dry room, avoid damage to the power cord, and plug the chair directly into a power source to ensure optimal operation. Check the chair’s specific manufacturer’s instructions for regular cleaning and maintenance instructions. With regular care, a quality power recliner can last between 10 and 20 years.
Q. Can power recliners be operated manually?
A power recliner needs electricity of some type to operate, either from an electrical outlet or a supplemental backup battery pack (for temporary use during power outages).
Q. Is it OK to sleep on a recliner?
When fully horizontal, sleep in a recliner can relieve muscle tension. However, limit sleeping in a seated position (not fully reclined) in order to prevent blood clots.
Q. Why do I sleep better in a recliner than in a bed?
Sleeping in a recliner chair can feel pleasant when in a fully horizontal position, as it can take pressure off of sore backs, improve blood circulation, and improve digestion and breathing.
Q. How much does a good recliner cost?
A good-quality recliner, one with luxury materials such as leather upholstery and durable metal motor mechanisms and frames, can cost between $800 and $2,000 or more, depending on the features.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series, including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.