Developed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), zero-gravity chairs were designed to protect astronauts’ bodies from gravitational force while launching into outer space. Their more down-to-earth purpose is to balance your body weight to release tension while comfortably reclining. Zero-gravity chairs offer excellent support, help reduce stress, maintain neutral spine alignment, and promote circulation. Read on for our top recommendations across a range of categories as well as shopping considerations to look out for when choosing a zero-gravity chair.
- BEST OVERALL: Goplus Folding Zero Gravity Lounge Chair
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Amazon Basics Zero Gravity Reclining Lounge Chair
- UPGRADE PICK: Timber Ridge Zero Gravity Patio Lounge Chair
- BEST PAIR: Best Choice Products Zero Gravity Recliners
- BEST PADDED: Phi Villa Patio Padded Recliner Zero Gravity Chair
- BEST OVERSIZE: Coastrail Oversized Zero Gravity Chair XXL
- BEST FOR CAMPING: Sunjoy Zero Gravity Lounge Chair
- BEST WITH CUP HOLDER: Mophoto Zero Gravity Outdoor Padded Lounge Chair
How We Chose the Best Zero-Gravity Chairs
The right zero-gravity chair can provide ample comfort by releasing muscle tension from your back and legs. Many of the above options have solid constructions, breathable seats, weather resistance, and special features to make sitting comfortable and enjoyable. Designed for indoor and outdoor use, zero-gravity chairs are also made with portability for the utmost comfort wherever you roam.
Many of our top picks are made with steel frames and bungee cords for durability and moisture resistance. There are also varying options for seat material including nylon, polyester, and Textilene, and some of the seats are padded for added comfort.
The above models are also reclinable and come with locking features to remain in position. For a touch of luxury, many of these zero-gravity recliners also have wooden armrests, headrests, and even removable trays for convenience.
Our Top Picks
The following products represent excellent zero-gravity chairs that provide comfort, sturdy construction, and portability as well as a range of size options and weight capacities to suit individual needs.
Relaxing in complete comfort needn’t break the bank. This budget-friendly zero-gravity chair from Goplus has a frame constructed of steel alloyed with other elements for added strength and corrosion resistance. The seat is made from durable mesh fabric that resists weather and fading. To rest securely in a favorite reclining position, simply engage the locking system.
The chair comes with a detachable pillow for either head or lumbar support, and it boasts an adjustable canopy so you can sit in the sun while shading your face and eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. Other convenient features include a detachable tray with two cup holders and slots for a phone and tablet. The chair measures 48 inches long by 37 inches wide by 32 inches deep when open and weighs 18.5 pounds.
- Material: Steel frame with fabric mesh
- Weight capacity: Up to 250 pounds
- Accessories: Cup holder, removable pillow, canopy shade
- Fully featured yet affordable with flexible canopy shade and removable headrest
- Adjustable reclining mechanism locks at the chosen angle for support and safety
- Available in 5 different fabric colors to suit a variety of outdoor spaces
- Though the majority of reviews cite the product as trouble-free, there have been a few reports of frames rusting
Get the Goplus zero-gravity chair at Amazon or Lowe’s.
The Amazon Basics zero-gravity reclining lounge chair offers relaxation and an enjoyable weightless feeling that relieves stress. The steel frame is alloyed with other elements to improve strength and durability. Breathable, weather-resistant Textilene fabric is attached to the frame via a bungee support system for a pleasantly cool feel, while a padded headrest and contoured armrests add even more comfort.
This outdoor gravity chair weighs a manageable 17.8 pounds and can support up to 200 pounds of weight. It’s available in four attractive colors to complement porch or patio decor. Measuring 33.9 inches long by 26 inches wide by 31.5 inches deep, the chair is foldable and easy to transport or store.
- Material: Steel frame with Textilene fabric
- Weight capacity: Up to 200 pounds
- Accessories: Headrest pillow
- Made from hard-wearing, moisture-resistant, and breathable Textilene fabric with double-bungee support
- A padded headrest pillow and gently contoured armrest provide high level of comfort
- Supports up to 200 pounds and offers very good value for money
- May not offer the necessary support for large or tall people
Get the Amazon Basics zero-gravity chair at Amazon.
Adjust position from seated upright to fully reclined for maximum stress relief in this oversize chair that can bear up to 350 pounds. A locking system lets you recline in safety and comfort at any angle ranging from 0 to 170 degrees. Recline to your preferred position, then simply push the locking lever under the armrest. The frame is constructed of powder-coated steel while the seat is fully padded and made of breathable, weather-resistant nylon and polyester. The ergonomically designed armrests are smooth natural wood for added comfort and an attractive appearance.
Use the removable padded headrest to support the head and neck, or move it lower for lumbar support. The attached tray provides a cup holder and phone holder for added convenience. This oversize chair from Timber Ridge is foldable for portability and storage. Weighing in at 24.3 pounds, the fully reclined length of the chair is 72 inches. Overall dimensions when open are 21.3 inches long by 22 inches wide by 43.5 inches deep.
- Material: Powder-coated steel frame, wood armrests, polyester fabric
- Weight capacity: Up to 350 pounds
- Accessories: Cup holder, removable pillow
- The fully padded seat is made from durable weather-resistant nylon and polyester
- High stability with patented locking mechanism and support for up to 350 pounds
- Benefits from natural-wood armrests, an adjustable pillow, and tray/cup holder
- This model is heavier than many competitors and carries a premium price tag
Get the Timber Ridge zero-gravity chair at Amazon.
Since this chair has multiple features for comfort and durability as well as 12 colors to choose from, shoppers will find a lot to like about this set of two zero-gravity chairs. Each chair supports up to 250 pounds thanks to strong elastic cords that attach the flexible UV-resistant fabric to a sturdy, alloy-steel frame.
Each of the detachable trays provides two cup holders as well as a tablet holder and a phone holder, so snacks, drinks, and digital devices can be close at hand. A removable padded headrest adds to comfort. In an open position, each chair measures 32.5 to 61 inches long by 25 inches wide by 32.5 to 61 inches deep. When folded, each chair measures 38 inches high by 25 inches wide by 6 inches deep.
- Material: Steel frame with Textilene fabric
- Weight capacity: Up to 250 pounds
- Accessories: Cup holder, removable pillow
- A pair of zero-gravity chairs for the price of many single models!
- Weather- and UV-resistant Textilene fabric supported with double-bungee cords
- Available in a wide range of colors with detachable headrest and multipurpose tray
- Complaints are rare, although some buyers have questioned the durability of the elastic and the frame coating
Get the Best Choice Products zero-gravity chairs at Amazon or Best Choice Products.
Adjust this fully padded chair to any position that allows ultimate relaxation preference, relieving pressure points and tension. Then activate the easy-to-use locking system for safety. The padded seat is suspended from the frame by a double-bungee system, and the steel frame is alloyed with other elements for durability and corrosion resistance.
In addition to comfortable padding, this chair offers oversize dimensions and a weight capacity of up to 400 pounds. The chair back can be adjusted from 32.48 inches to 44.9 inches to accommodate taller people. In an open position, this chair measures 44.9 inches high by 30 inches wide by 35.4 inches deep but can be folded for storage or transport.
- Material: Oxford fabric, steel frame
- Weight capacity: Up to 400 pounds
- Accessories: Adjustable headrest, cup holder
- Oversize seat is padded throughout; contoured armrests are made of natural wood
- Will support up to 400 pounds; also provides comfort for taller people
- Features include removable pillow and tray that offers cup holder plus phone and tablet rests
- Increased size makes it heavier than many rivals; requires more storage space
Get the Phi Villa zero-gravity chair at Amazon, The Home Depot, or Phi Villa.
This oversize zero-gravity chair by Coastrail is fully lined with thick bungee cords to suspend the extra-strength polyester fabric from the steel tube frame. Due to its sturdy construction, this chair will support up to 500 pounds. The 33.5-inch width of the seat provides extra room for relaxation while reclining. A flexible locking system offers security while the sitter chooses a favorite position, and a metal latch pin keeps the chair from folding up until the pin is removed.
The polyester seat is fully padded for comfort, and a detachable pillow can be used either for head or lumbar support. A detachable side tray with both a cup and phone holder keeps necessities close at hand.
- Material: Powder-coated steel with polyester fabric
- Weight capacity: Up to 500 pounds
- Accessories: Removable pillow, cup holder
- Remarkably strong and spacious chair that provides an exceptional amount of support
- Extra-strong padded polyester fabric with detachable pillow; versatile tray is also included
- Reclining mechanism has reinforced pivot points and locking pin for maximum safety
- Not surprisingly, it is rather bulky and is also comparatively expensive
Get the Coastrail zero-gravity chair at Amazon, The Home Depot, or Wayfair.
Weighing in at only 11 pounds, this zero-gravity folding chair is one of the most compact and portable options on the market. An easy folding mechanism allows you to quickly stow this chair for travel, making it a great camping chair.
The sling mesh-fabric seat is weather-resistant, UV-resistant, and breathable. An adjustable pillow provides extra comfort and support for the head or lumbar spine. Recline in this chair to find a favorite position and then turn the knob under the arm to lock it in safely. The chair measures 69.3 inches high by 27 inches deep by 30 inches wide and folds up neatly for packing and storage.
- Material: Steel frame with Textilene fabric
- Weight capacity: Not provided
- Accessories: Removable pillow
- Light, easy to carry, and ideal for camping or RV trips
- Hard-wearing, UV-resistant mesh seating material with a water-resistant pillow
- Choice of 5 colors to suit virtually any outdoor space
- No weight capacity is provided, and there are a few concerns about durability
Get the Sunjoy zero-gravity chair at Amazon or Target.
While many zero-gravity chairs have a cup holder, this quality model from Mophoto stands out from its rivals. The cup holder is located on a useful side table that also boasts a phone rest. The stylish zero-gravity chair has a tubular steel frame that sits on legs that are thicker than what’s typical, helping support a weight of up to 440 pounds. Plus, rubber feet help prevent sliding and damage to decks or wooden floors.
The 800D oxford fabric is tough but breathable and available in a variety of dark and neutral colors to suit just about any location. Another big plus is its luxurious removable mattress that delivers exceptional comfort. The Mophoto zero-gravity chair is supportive and looks as good in an office or living room as it does by the pool.
- Material: Steel and oxford fabric
- Weight capacity: 440 pounds
- Accessories: Removable mattress, pillow, cup holder
- Stylish design with removable mattress, pillow, and side table with cup holder and phone rest
- Strong frame and breathable heavy-duty oxford fabric provide outstanding support
- Easy gliding reclining mechanism provides good stability in all positions
- The wide frame and thick mattress need more storage space than most alternatives
Get the Mophoto zero-gravity chair at Amazon.
What to Consider When Choosing a Zero-Gravity Chair
At their best, zero-gravity chairs are comfortable, durable, and beneficial for relaxation. Plan to look for features that suit your specific preferences and needs, such as size, weight capacity, materials, and other safety and convenience features.
Depending on your length, width, and weight capacity requirements, you can choose from standard size or oversize zero-gravity chairs. Many manufacturers offer oversize zero-gravity chairs to accommodate users who might need a longer chair and wider seat for comfort or an above-average weight capacity for safety.
In general, a standard-size zero-gravity chair is about 43 inches high by 25 inches wide by 36 inches deep. An oversize chair may measure around 45 inches high by 29 inches wide by 36 inches deep. Oversize chairs offer wider seats and greater weight-bearing capacity, and some are longer to accommodate tall people.
For storing and transporting your zero-gravity chair, take note of its folded dimensions, too.
Zero-gravity chairs feature fabric seats suspended from metal frames by cords or bungees. The quality of the fabric may add to your comfort as well as the chair’s durability.
Most zero-gravity chairs are constructed with steel frames. Some are alloy steel, which means that other elements are added to the steel for extra strength and resistance to corrosion.
Because zero-gravity chairs are generally intended for outdoor use, many of them feature breathable, weather-resistant fabric seats. Some also offer a UV-resistant coating to deter fading from the sun. In some cases, padded seats, usually polyester, provide additional comfort.
Comfort and Support
Zero-gravity chairs are designed to balance your weight as you recline while simultaneously raising the level of your feet. You cannot lie on your stomach in a zero-gravity chair, and you cannot lie completely flat, as you might on a bed. Instead, a zero-gravity chair’s design allows you to approximate a feeling of weightlessness as your position adjusts to relieve pressure points and release tension.
For additional comfort, some zero-gravity chairs feature padded seats or head pillows in supportive high-density foam that can be detached and used for lumbar support. If you plan to use your chair in hot weather or an area that gets a lot of direct sunlight, you might look for one with breathable fabric, such as nylon mesh.
Side Tray and Cup Holder
For added convenience, many zero-gravity chairs feature side trays to help you keep your drinks, snacks, and electronic devices handy while you relax. Many of these are detachable, and most provide at least one cup holder, if not two. Made from molded plastic, these trays are weather-resistant and fold compactly for storage or transport. These are especially beneficial if you don’t want to bother with a patio side table, or if using your zero-gravity chair in a smaller area.
If sun protection is important, consider a zero-gravity chair with a canopy. If you plan to use your zero-gravity chair at the beach or other sunny spot, a canopy could be a welcome feature to keep you comfortable and sunburn-free.
Many zero-gravity chair canopies offer adjustable positioning, so you can optimize your shade. Additionally, you can fold the canopy back out of the way when you don’t want to use it.
A zero-gravity chair uses your body weight to tilt backward as you recline in a balanced position. This relieves pressure points along your spine and lets your entire body relax to relieve stress.
Most zero-gravity chairs feature locking systems that allow you to maintain your favorite position. Generally, the locking mechanism is operated by a knob or lever under the armrest. This means you can recline in comfort and lock or unlock the chair with a quick and easy movement of your hand.
You can select any position from upright to reclining to suit your personal preference. The arc of movement can range from 0 to 170 degrees. Because of the zero-gravity chair’s tilting and balancing action, having a proper locking system can provide additional safety. When you recline to your optimally comfortable position, simply engage the lock to rest securely and safely.
Standard-size zero-gravity chairs typically support up to 200 or 250 pounds, while an oversize chair can bear 350 to 400 pounds. When shopping for your perfect zero-gravity chair, always be sure to check its weight capacity specifications.
The chair’s weight capacity is largely determined by the elastic cord system or bungees that attach the chair’s fabric seat to its metal frame. For increased load-bearing capacity, oversize chairs are constructed with sturdy frames and strong fabric seats as well as powerful corded suspension systems that ensure safe usage with increased weight capacity.
You may be looking for a zero-gravity chair that you can easily bring with you to the beach, sporting events, camping trips, or other outdoor gatherings.
Most zero-gravity chairs fold for portability as well as storage. Look for the folded dimensions specified in product descriptions to determine how much space it will take up while stored or packed.
In addition to compact folded dimensions, you may want to select a lightweight zero-gravity chair for easy transport. While most zero-gravity chairs weigh 15 to 22 pounds, some lightweight models weigh as little as 11 pounds.
Zero-gravity chairs are designed for comfort, portability, and weather-resistant outdoor use. At first glance, the design may appear unusual, but these chairs offer distinct benefits.
Q. How do zero-gravity chairs work?
As you recline in a zero-gravity chair, your body weight is evenly distributed along the chair’s length, relieving pressure points, stress, and tension.
Q. How do you sit in a zero-gravity chair?
You can start in an upright position, then lean back to recline in a position that is balanced by your body weight. Engage the locking mechanism for added security.
Q. Are zero-gravity chairs good for your back?
Because zero-gravity chairs are inspired by the NASA-designed seating that helps astronauts endure the gravitational force of takeoff, you can understand why they provide beneficial support for your back. The reclining position distributes your weight to relieve tension and takes pressure off your spine.
Q. Can you sleep in a zero-gravity chair?
You may be so relaxed in a zero-gravity chair that you fall peacefully asleep. For users who experience back pain, sleeping in a zero-gravity chair might be preferable to sleeping in a bed. However, the majority don’t offer deep padding like indoor power recliners or reclining sofas, and you cannot lie on your stomach or stretch out flat in a zero-gravity chair.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.