The 4-foot-long Flash Furniture table’s granite-white top is made from 1.75-inch-thick, heavy-duty molded plastic that’s easy to wipe clean. When folded for storage, the table is only 1.75 inches thick and features locking mechanisms that keep it from buckling when in use. The table’s steel legs are powder-coated to resist rust and corrosion, and it comes with protective floor caps to keep from scuffing hardwood or other floorings. The table is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use and supports up to 330 pounds of weight.
The Best Folding Tables for Work or Dining
You have plenty of choices―in size, material, and folding options―when shopping for a folding table.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
- Best OverallFlash Furniture 24x48 Plastic Fold TableCheck Latest Price
- Best Bang for the BuckCOLIBYOU 6' Folding TableCheck Latest Price
- Upgrade PickSLEEKFORM Folding DeskCheck Latest Price
The purchase of a folding table may be something you decide on the spur of the moment when you discover you need extra space for guests, garage sales, or crafts. The best folding table offers a temporary―and sometimes permanent―surface for place settings for overflow guests or extra space for your sewing, painting, and other projects.
Some folding tables can handle heavy-duty loads, including power tools, construction materials, or books. The best ones are easy to unfold and set up, are stable when in use, and take up minimal space when stored.
- BEST OVERALL: Flash Furniture 24×48 Plastic Fold Table
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: COLIBYOU 6′ Folding Table
- UPGRADE PICK: SLEEKFORM Folding Desk
- BEST FOR HEAVY PROJECTS: Cosco Deluxe Fold-in-Half Folding Table
- BEST PERSONAL DINING: Flash Furniture 24RND Plastic Fold Table
- BEST TO TUCK AWAY: Table-Mate II Folding TV Tray Table and Cup Holder
- BEST FOR MULTIPURPOSE: Meco STAKMORE Straight Edge Folding Card Table
- BEST PICNIC TABLE: Office Star Resin 3-Piece Folding Bench and Table Set
- BEST WITH CHAIRS: XL Series Folding Card Table and Padded Chair Set
- BEST ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: Lifetime 80160 Height Adjustable Folding Table
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Folding Table
Folding tables offer instant seating and storage—fold out the legs, and voilà—you have room for guests or space to hold food and supplies for parties and banquets. Depending on their size, shape, and the materials they’re made from, some folding tables are better suited to specific tasks than others.
Many folding tables are made from strong but lightweight materials, making them sturdy yet portable. The table’s underframe, including the folding legs, is usually made from metal, often aluminum or powder-coated steel, to reduce rusting and corrosion risk. Tabletop material varies; depending on your plans for the table, one of the following categories will be better-suited than the others.
- Molded plastic or resin top: Designed to be waterproof, tabletops made from heavy-duty molded plastic or resin are the top options for folding tables you will use outdoors. These tops are also spill- and stain-resistant, making them suitable for children’s playrooms. Since molded resin tables may feature a textured surface, tasks like coloring and writing can be more difficult.
- Plywood or fiberboard core: If you’re looking for a folding table to use indoors, you’ll find a variety of plywood or fiberboard options. These tabletops come with a water-resistant top layer of Formica, laminate, or melamine that provides a smooth surface ideal for coloring, writing, and wiping clean. The surface materials come in various designs, including wood- and granite-look, so you can choose a design to complement the decor in any room.
- Solid wood: Typically reserved for smaller tables because wood tends to be heavy, solid wood folding tables can be used outdoors or indoors, depending on the wood species. For outdoor use, look for a table made from weather-resistant redwood, teak, or cedar. Indoors, you can opt for virtually any species, including oak, cherry, or pecan.
Folding tables are available in a few basic shapes, each offering different benefits.
- Round: Round folding tables allow guests to easily see one another, making them well-suited for wedding receptions, family reunions, or just having coffee on the patio with friends. They come in various sizes, from small two-person tables to larger, banquet-sized tables that can seat eight to 12 people.
- Square: Most square folding tables are relatively small, seating a maximum of four—one person on each side—and they are popular for overflow dining for extra guests, game tables, or a designated kids’ table.
- Rectangular: A common option for banquet-style meals and accommodating larger groups, rectangular folding tables range in size from children’s versions that seat four to adult tables that can seat up to 12 people.
Folding and Locking Mechanisms
The standard leg configuration on round and rectangular folding tables features two leg sets on opposite ends of the table that fold up underneath the table for storage. Each set features two connected legs, and the farther apart the legs are, the more stable the table will be. Square tables can have similar leg configurations, but more often, they have four individual legs, each one folding up along one side of the table.
Most folding tables feature a locking mechanism that will prevent the table from accidentally folding up while in use. This may be a simple metal brace that locks a leg set in its open position or a metal band that slides down over the open legs to prevent accidental closing.
Depending on the size and the weight of a folding table, it will be more or less portable. Large, heavy folding tables can weigh as much as 50 pounds, and these are often used as group seating in schools, churches, and other community buildings. These large tables are usually stored on-site. Smaller folding tables can weigh as little as 10 pounds and can be easily stored in a garage or shed and transported in the back of a pickup truck.
Our Top Picks
To qualify as a Top Pick, a folding table should be sturdy (not wobbly), well-balanced, and able to support the weight of the food or other items you put on it. It should also be simple to set up and take down. The following folding tables are better suited to some situations than others, but one or more is sure to fit your home and needs.
This 6-foot folding table by Colibyou is an affordable choice for both indoor and outdoor use with ample room for garage sale items, baked goods, or up to eight place settings. The rectangular tabletop is made from heavy molded plastic and its legs are made from powder-coated steel. The table folds in half and its legs tuck securely underneath for storage. It measures 72 inches long by 29.13 inches wide and stands 29.5 inches high. When the table is set up, sliding guards on the legs prevent accidental folding, and a latch on the underside of the tabletop locks the two top pieces together. When folded, the table is just 6 inches thick.
If you want a folding table that complements your interior decor so well it can be a permanent addition, check out the SLEEKFORM folding desk—it’s lightweight, portable, and features a walnut-stained fir tabletop. No assembly is required, so simply take it out of the box and use it. The table measures 47.2 inches long by 23.6 inches wide and stands 30 inches high, which makes it a good choice for a work desk, an extra work surface, or even a table for a cocktail party. It comes with rustic-looking, black steel fold-down legs that are fitted with nonscuff rubber caps. The wood tabletop is scratch- and water-resistant, and since it supports up to 110 pounds of weight, it’s great for a sewing machine, tools, and other craft project items. It folds to 4.8 inches thick for easy storage.
The CoscoProducts Deluxe Folding Table holds up to 300 pounds, so you may want to consider it for a sturdy surface to hold power tools, construction supplies, and other heavy items. The table measures 73 inches long by 29.6 inches wide by 36 inches high, offering plenty of room for large items. It features an attractive black, high-density plastic surface and powder-coated steel legs that come with sliding lock guards to keep the table sturdy and upright. When folded in half—legs inside—the table is just 6 inches wide and locks, so it won’t open when you carry it. It weighs just 25.5 pounds, so it’s light enough to carry by the attached comfort handle and lift up to store on high shelves in garages and attics.
When you want a table that holds two place settings, serves as an extra workspace, or can create extra space for a barbeque, the Flash Furniture round folding table may be just what you’re looking for. Its round, 24-inch size and 29.3-inch height makes it suitable for two place settings, a laptop workstation, or even an accent table for an entryway or other small space. The .75-inch thick granite-white tabletop is made from heavy-duty molded plastic that is waterproof and impact- and stain-resistant. This portable commercial table holds 180 pounds, so it’s ready for heavy-duty action, too. It stands on powder-coated steel legs that have nonscratch caps to lessen the chance of floor damage, and the table folds for easy storage. This table is suitable for indoor or outdoor use, but it should be stored inside.
The Table-Mate folding table and cup holder isn’t just for dining; you can use the table to hold your laptop or DIY project and then store the table under a sofa or chair to free up space. The tabletop measures 21 inches long by 15 inches wide and can be adjusted to six height settings ranging from 21.75 to 29.25 inches, which makes it a good choice for both kids and adults. The top tilts to three different positions so you can slant a keyboard or magazine into a comfortable position. A pull-out cup holder is located on the side of the tabletop. When folded, the Table-Mate is only a couple of inches thick, so you can slide it out of sight until it’s needed again.
If you want a sturdy, portable table that is attractive enough to become a permanent part of your home, consider this Meco folding table. It measures 32 inches by 32 inches and stands 29.5 inches high. The legs are easy to unfold and lock into place so it’s quickly ready for card playing, jigsaw puzzles, crafts, or other activities. When you are ready to store this table, it’s easy to unlock the legs and fold them into the table. The folded table measures 3.375 inches thick, so you can easily stow it when not in use. This solid wood table has a top that is almost 1 inch thick and has a scalloped edge that is attractive for keeping out for day-to-day use. It’s solid enough to use for dining or as a workstation.
Get the picnic started with the Office Star 3-Piece Folding Bench and Table Set. With a frame made from powder-coated steel and waterproof seats and tabletop, this picnic set is suitable for outdoor and indoor use. Each bench measures 72.5 inches long by 12 inches wide and is 17.5 inches high. It folds in half with legs stored inside for portability. The matching table is 72 inches long by 30 inches wide by 29.5 inches high and is suitable for seating four persons (up to 200 pounds per seat). The tabletop will hold up to 350 pounds of evenly distributed food or other items, and it also folds in half for storage.
You won’t need to scrounge around to find seating with the XL Series Folding Card Table that comes with four folding chairs. This square table can be used as an overflow table for guests at a holiday dinner and is a perfect size (38 inches square and 29.5 inches high) for playing cards and board games or for assembling jigsaw puzzles. Both the table and the chairs feature powder-coated 18-gauge steel frames and legs for durability, and the table comes with triple-cross bracing to prevent accidental closure. The table also features a stain-resistant vinyl covering, and the chair seats and backs are padded and covered with fabric for comfort. The table folds flat for easy storing.
You won’t need to buy separate tables for adults and children if you have the Lifetime adjustable folding table. The tabletop’s height adjusts to three positions: 24 inches, 29 inches, or 34 inches, making it suitable for both small and tall family members. The frame and legs feature rust-resistant, powder-coated steel for durability, and the tabletop is made from waterproof and stain-resistant high-density polyethylene. The Lifetime adjustable table is suitable for both outdoor and indoor use. Its top measures 48 inches long by 24 inches wide, and it will hold up to 350 pounds of evenly distributed weight.
FAQs About Folding Tables
Folding tables come in handy for many situations, but if this is the first time you’ve shopped for one, you may have some questions.
Q. How do you fold a folding table?
The simplest way is usually to rest the table on its side, release the locking mechanism that’s holding the legs open, and then fold up the legs.
Q. How much weight can a folding table hold?
That all depends on the size and quality of the table. Some smaller lightweight tables may be rated to hold as little as 30 pounds, while a heavy-duty folding conference table may be able to safely hold up to 300 pounds or more.
Q. What is the standard height of a folding table?
The top of a standard folding table is about 30 inches from the floor, while a child’s folding table is approximately 20 inches from the floor.