Why It Made the Cut: Zillow’s high traffic, wide variety of listings, support for home sales and rentals, helpful home comparison tool, and connections to agents, inspectors, and builders make it a great overall choice.
As a real estate listing website that caters to buyers, sellers, and renters, Zillow is a one-stop shop for nearly anyone engaged in buying or selling a home. As noted in our Zillow review, the site has millions of property listings for users to view. This means that regardless of geographic location, buyers and renters are more likely to find a good range of housing options listed in their target area, including the best real estate listings for their needs. The site also draws in a great deal of traffic, with many buyers and renters browsing Zillow at any given time. As such, those listing properties for sale or rent know that there will be many eyes on their listings.
While many real estate websites focus either on sales or rentals, Zillow includes both types of listings. Users can search for homes for sale or rent immediately alongside an option to list homes for sale or rent. While Zillow is a truly comprehensive buying, selling, and renting website, it can take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours for listings to be updated on the site when changes are made.
Once a buyer or renter has identified a few properties they’d like to consider, they can take advantage of Zillow’s useful comparison tool to weigh their options. Browsers can choose up to five properties they’d like to compare, and Zillow will provide a side-by-side comparison of all the key points noted in the listing to make it easier to break down the similarities and differences between the properties.
Other great tools include Zestimate, Zillow’s estimate of a home’s market value, and a search function to match buyers or sellers with an agent and other professionals involved in the home-selling process, which is part of what makes Zillow such a comprehensive service. Even those who already have a real estate agent may need assistance finding a knowledgeable home inspector or reliable builder in their area. Therefore, the reviews and ratings of home inspectors and other professionals on Zillow’s website is a great added value.
- Site type: Real estate listings website
- Buying, selling, or renting: Buying, selling, renting
- Search parameters: Price, beds, baths, square footage, home type, amenities, view
- Site tools: Calculators, Zestimate, property management, advertising
- Listing fees: $0 for home sales; $29.99 for rental listings
- Relatively high site traffic and number of property listings
- Users can search for and post both sales and rental listings
- Helpful home comparison tool for buyers and renters
- Customers can search for agents, inspectors, builders, and other professionals
- Listing updates may not take effect for up to 48 hours