Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


06:54PM | 01/05/04
Member Since: 01/04/04
1 lifetime posts
I live in Minnesota, and I am about to finish my attic. I had a new roof put on the house a year ago, and with this project in mind, I had a ridge vent installed.

What type of insulation should be used. The joists are 2x4's.

I should also mention that I intend to use the space for recording, so I would LOVE to use something that would also give me some sound proofing.

Also, should there be air space between the insulation and the roof deck?

Thanks a lot.



06:53AM | 01/09/04
Member Since: 01/28/01
171 lifetime posts
You will need air flow along the underside of the roof decking. Foam shapes are available for this. They look like \___/
They hold the insulation back from the wood and are usually used so air can get past the insulation from the eave vents.

If you want to stay warm, you'll probably need R-60, depending on how you're heating your attic. You'll need to install deeper framing to hold the insulation.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button