We bought our house several years ago and since day one, we have had a reoccuring stale/musty smell when the windows and/or doors are open. It doesn't happen when everthing is shut. I read a similar thread on this site about a sewer smell when windows/doors are opened, but this doesn't seem like a sewer smell. The smell tends to appear in two rooms, the laundry room and a bedroom next to a bathroom. The previous owner was a smoker so it seems that may play a role. However, the bedroom which smells has been gutted down to the studs and re-drywalled with new insulation. The ceiling was not removed, but we did drywall right over the original. We also replaced the carpet with hardwood. Basically, every surface is new. It's sad that we are adding so many great upgrades to the house (new kitchen, bathrooms, hardwood, etc.), but we can't open the windows. Any thoughts?
Hi, old thread but did you ever find what was causing the smell. Have same problem. Windows closed, no problems. Windows open there is a smell around the hallway.
We have a home that my husband had built and we have a small lake behind the house and I've noticed the same thing. I've got severe mold allergies and it flares me up so badly, even when mold counts outside are low. The smell goes away after we close up all the windows and we run the air conditioning for a while. But it's so sad that we have a beautiful home on a lake and can never open the windows. Anyone know what causes this smell? I've been in the attic to blow in insulation and it's dry inside.
Aol email 1888279-O246 Installation -in-problem safe...
formica counter top
sandep kumar g
granite bridge saw
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects