Latest Discussions : Kitchen


10:40AM | 02/20/20
I have some questions on replacing our drop in range to a slide in range. Can we use the same cabinetry and just cut out the bottom wood that sits under the drop in range or do we have to replace the cabinets? Also, will we lose house value when it comes time to sell if we take out the drop in and replace with a slide in? Thought about Induction range but that takes 50 watts versus average 40 watts in a home. So, we would be talking a lot of uncertainty and cost to do this.

Thank you for any helpful advise you can give.
The Sullivan Family

David, Moderator

09:38PM | 02/20/20
Member Since: 11/15/13
264 lifetime posts
There are actually 3 types of ranges.

drop-in:counter top cutout and cabinet is usually around 29 1/2". most drop-ins have a flange that laps over the counter and the cabinet frame approximately 1/4" both sides finishing out at 30". Instead of sitting on the floor it sits on a platform.

slide-in:same as a drop-in except a slide-in sits directly on the floor with adjustable legs.

free standing:requires a 30" opening in counter and between cabinet frames.

Your best bet would probably be a slide-in. !st thing to do is measure openings and then check openings required for slide-in.
Usually the bottom filler and base are separate from cabinets. May have to remove a few screws or nails and remove. Or if it is part of cabinets you can carefully cut filler with hand saw and cut base with saw zaw.
If existing counter and cabinet opening are small you can always trim some off.
I don't know if it would affect the value either way.
I hope this is helpful
feel free to ask more questions

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button