Latest Discussions : Tools & Workshop


06:27AM | 11/03/02
Member Since: 11/02/02
6 lifetime posts
we just brought a fixer upper house and we would like to finish off the basement. However there is black mold half way up the front and one side wall. Under the mold is paint. How can we remove all the mold so it will not come back, clean the area and remove the paint from the block so we can water proof the water. We just had the sewage pipe fixed that was gone in the front of the house and the pipe was 15ft below groud, so I know that was a big part of our problem on why the front wall. We are very new at this and have never done this before, however we watch Bob's show everyday and trust in him.

Thank you,

Richard and Shannon Aubin

[This message has been edited by richardaubin (edited November 06, 2002).]


05:54PM | 11/05/02
Member Since: 06/03/01
324 lifetime posts
Sounds like a project. Best bet is to kill the mold with a 50-50 bleach water solution sprayed on. Then removal is another story. probably lots of elbow grease. The real question is "why is mold growing there?" Is it damp? A leak? May need to check the outside area to insure the ground slope is away from the house and insure that any downspouts take the water away from the foundation. Maybe a dehumidifier will take care of the excess humidity if there is no apparent leak or water seepage.

[This message has been edited by LDoyle (edited November 05, 2002).]


10:35AM | 11/07/02
Member Since: 11/05/02
12 lifetime posts
I had a similar situation a few years back. I bought a foreclosure that had water sitting in the basement for about 9 months -- including all summer. Imagine the mold! After having the basement gutted I had Servicemaster come in and clean down the walls and studs, then treat everything with an odorless fungicide. They did a great job and only cost a few hundred dollars, less than $350 if I remember. I also had all the ductwork cleaned for the same reason. Good luck.


11:19AM | 11/07/02
Member Since: 11/02/02
6 lifetime posts
When do you live...and who did you call to get that done...the guy I got a price from told me 37,000 to clean and water proof...


11:39AM | 11/07/02
Member Since: 11/05/02
12 lifetime posts
I live in Chicago, but I think Servicemaster is nationwide. The size of your rooms may make a difference in the price a little. Wow, 37K sounds ridiculous to me, though I only have my own experience to go by. My basement is about 20' x 40' and includes a rec-size room, laundry room and bathroom. After they did their work, I just ran dehumidifiers for a couple of weeks until it dried out, and I haven't had any mold since. Maybe they have some information online at


01:51PM | 11/07/02
Member Since: 11/02/02
6 lifetime posts
I will check it out...Thank you so much..I have to do something becaue you can smell it and the house is not that is a twin and the basement has to be finished for the kids play room. We had to do the whole house from top to was bad. So were did the water come from that was sitting in the basement. Anyway I will check them out.


05:45AM | 11/08/02
Member Since: 11/05/02
12 lifetime posts
Before I moved in the house had been vacant for a year. ComEd had turned off the electric, but the city didn't turn off the water. So, of course, over the winter, the pipes burst and flooded the basement (which had been beautifully finished, carpeted and had oak wainscoting halfway up the walls). And with no one living there, the water just sat molding up the walls. Turns out, the sewer wasn't too good either, and I've since replaced the whole line.

When I moved in, I had everything but the studs/conduit ripped out of the basement, which cost about $2,500. Then I had it disinfected.

Where did your water come from?


07:14AM | 11/08/02
Member Since: 11/02/02
6 lifetime posts
Well I think most of it came from the sewage! I sit on a hill and my sewage pipe is 15ft underground, so since there was no pipe because the tree's had ate all of the pipe it just sat there and the people that lived here before we not the cleanest of people. Then I think it also came from the sewage backing up into the basement and they did nothing to remove it. Plus all the pipes in the house were damaged and the water just ran down the walls and floor. So time I wonder how this house is still standing, but the property was a nice size for the kids to run and play and have a pool and it was cheep, so we took it.


08:32AM | 11/08/02
Member Since: 11/05/02
12 lifetime posts
Yeah, I hear you. A bargain always comes with a price doesn't it? It's been worth it to me. I went through so many headaches the first two years in my house, but I totally love it, and it was a great deal. Even after a new sewer line.

Good luck to you.


11:36AM | 11/08/02
Member Since: 11/07/02
1 lifetime posts
I am a construction manager for a homebuilder in Texas. I have had some experience with remediating mold issues.

I recommend a product called Milgo SR. It is a true antibacterial detergent that will kill the mold. There is also a hospital grade cleanser that is so strong it will even kill the HIV virus.

With either one you just follow the directions, spray on, wait at least 10 minutes and wipe off excess. But you don't need to really scrape off the excess, let it sit, and then clean the area with scour pads like you are sanding the wall.

The 50/50 bleach idea is a common one, but not entirely effective. It will bleach the mold and it will go dormant. Then you will think it is dead, but the spores will still have a chance to live and grow back in the future.

But you need to find the source of the moisture first before you spend the money on the cleaners.

Good luck


01:05PM | 11/08/02
Member Since: 11/02/02
6 lifetime posts
I live is pennsylvania! Do have any ideal were we might find this product. The source of the problem was the sewage which has been fix. Thank you very much


07:39AM | 12/11/02
Member Since: 12/10/02
5 lifetime posts
Take a look at a website.

The paint is a solution to mold issues.


12:43AM | 10/30/16
If you are cleaning mold yourself, the largest issue is air filtration. Whenever you spray or wipe mold you can kick more mold spores into the air. If these mold spores are not removed from the air with a HEPA filter they will just spread throughout the house and find a new spot to colonize. Air filtration is essential to proper mold remediation.
Arc Home Testing

Rhino Carbon Fiber

05:48AM | 11/01/16
Member Since: 10/04/16
20 lifetime posts

There is no way to eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. The key to mold control is controlling indoor moisture:

=> Fix Water Problems (leaks, etc.) – Fix leaks as soon as you find them. Not only does a leaky basement or roof mean immediate structural damage, if not remedied, the waterlogged areas allow mold to thrive. See the project Repair Basement Leaks. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth. If you don’t, and mold infiltrates them, they will need to be removed to completely fix the mold problem.

=> Reduce Indoor Humidity – The more humid your home is, the more likely it will be a haven for mold spores. Reduce humidity by increasing your home’s ventilation to keep the air from becoming warm and stagnant. Vent large appliances, such as washer/dryers, as well as your bathroom and kitchen. Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers.

=> Prevent Condensation – Insulate exterior walls, roofs, windows and pipes to reduce the potential for moisture forming from condensation.

Good Luck!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button