plumbing moans when the water is turned off
I saw on another post that someone mentioned adjusting the thumb, or setscrew, on the pressure regulator to decrease the water pressure. I assume the pressure regulator is the item colocated, or part of, the main water shutoff for the house? If it is, then in addition to the shutoff valve handle, there was as a thubmscrew on the side. It was totally screwed down. When I "unscrewed" it, I was met with a shower of water escaping under pressure from the thumbscrew. I quickly screwed it back in. What gives? What the heck did I just uncover??? Should it do that?
Disconnect all your outdoor water hoses (and make sure their taps are closed!)
Noise gone? Here's why:
If any hose is turned off at the hose end nozzle and the tap is on even a teeny bit, the hose acts like a large pressurized balloon... and every time you turn a tap off ANYWHERE,it is similar to tapping a tightly inflated balloon! Propagates through all your pipes.
If this was the cause and you'd called a plumber... you'd feel silly and poorer!
But thinking a little bit more: leaving the garden hose valve on by itself is not the whole problem. If the garden hose and/or washer is brand new, and the hose tightly connected to the valve, then the moaning noise might not manifested itself.
The noise will become more noticeable and more pronounced when the garden hose connection to the valve is loose, and/or the garden hose has deteriorated to the point of becoming a balloon itself.
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects