09:05AM | 06/23/07
Member Since: 06/22/07
4 lifetime posts
Inside my house on top of the main water supply inlet there is a leaking nipple that looks just like the air valve on a car tire. Water is leaking out the top of this. Anybody know what this is called or how to stop water from leaking out the top of it?


09:52AM | 06/23/07
Member Since: 01/24/06
1626 lifetime posts
Me office1
Sounds like a bleeder and the easiest way to stop a Schroeder vlave leaking is to get a cap just like one would use on hot water heating or a stop and waste valve OR STEAL ONE off a neighbors tile


10:00AM | 06/23/07
Member Since: 06/22/07
4 lifetime posts
Thanks, that's what it sounds like. So is this a pressure reducing valve? What kind of cap would that look like or where could I find one?


10:36AM | 06/23/07
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
That valve (Schrader Valve) is not normally use in a water supply system.

Is it possible that it does not connect to the water pipes, but to a tank that connects to the water lines? That "tank" can be as small as a softball (water hammer preventer), a basketball (an expansion tank) or larger (a well tank).

If it connects directly to the water line the only reason that I can think of for it being there is that at one time the house was only used part time and an air compressor was used "blow down" the lines so that they would not have any residual water in them so that the lines would not break if frozen. This is not uncommon in vaction homes that are only used in the summer.

If it is the later and no longer used them the best thing to do would be to remove and replace it with a plug.

You can also get valve caps to reduce the dripping, but only temporary as I don't think that they would standup long term to the pressure. And even at that I would only use the metal ones.


07:02PM | 06/23/07
Member Since: 06/22/07
4 lifetime posts
Interesting... I don't think the house was ever just a summer house, but it could be. Anyway, it's definitely a schrader valve like on a car tire. I don't think it's attached to any kind of tank. It's right above a thing that has a gasket in between the two sandwiched halves, and on one side it say "inlet" and on the other side it says "outlet," but it's pretty narrow around, not big enough to be a tank I don't think. I pressed the metal pin in the middle and water literally shot out the top.

If I opt to replace it with a plug, will shutting off the power shut off the well pump and so prevent water from squirting out the hole? Would water run out of the water tank while I tried to put the plug in?

I mean, I'm not totally inept, but I don't want my basement to flood either.

Or should I just call a plumber?


09:40PM | 06/23/07
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
I am not sure what you have. Can you post a picture of it. Could be somekind of filter, but I am not sure.

Something like these?

"If I opt to replace it with a plug, will shutting off the power shut off the well pump and so prevent water from squirting out the hole? Would water run out of the water tank while I tried to put the plug in?"

Just turning the pump off is probably not enough.

There are lots and lots of different well systems and different setups.

Here are the 3 basic kinds, shallow jet, deep jet, and submersiable pumps.

In the first 2 the pumps might be in the basement or a seperate pump house.

After the tank there is usually a shut off valve then it feeds the house plumbing.

If you just turn off the pump you will still have pressure from the tank. If this is on the other side of the shutoff valve and you close that valve you will won't have pressure, but some water will still come out because of all of the lines, but it will not be under pressure.

Now there are two kinds of tanks used. Most now are bladder tanks and they are typically painted. They will have a schrader valve for charging the bladder. The other is galvanized tanks. They either have air volumne control systems or they can become water logged and need to be drained.

If you have a low producing well you might have low water cutoffs or pump cycling controlls. Also you might have filters or water treatment equipment for things like sulfer or iron in the water. They have special controls. And require certain maintance.

While any plumber can replace the valve or replace it with a plug.

But you really want to get a well person out to go over what you have, what kind of maintance it needs, what can go wrong, where any resets are, what any adjustments are, if the pump needs priming where would you prime it, etc, etc, etc.

It would be an advantage if you find someone that is familar with YOUR well and how much water it produces, what the water level is, etc. So when calling well drillers find out if they have worked on your well/pump.

If you can contact the previous owners ask them who worked on it.

Please let us know what you find out.


09:58AM | 06/24/07
Member Since: 06/22/07
4 lifetime posts
Thanks so much for your information and expertise. There seems to be a lot more to it than I thought (how unusual!)Anyway, I'll probably call a well/water guy I know - he'll still charge me but at least I'll have a better understanding in the future about how things work. I'll write back when I find out what the valve is and what's going on. I'll also see if i can post some pix. The ones you had oof the water filter isn't it.
Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon