Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


01:15PM | 08/24/01
Member Since: 08/23/01
1 lifetime posts
The main circuit panel is in a location where i want to place a bathroom. Can i have the circuit panel in the bathroom or would i have to relocate it?


02:29PM | 08/24/01
Member Since: 09/01/00
312 lifetime posts
I don't recall anything in the National Electrical Code which addresses this question,however,the ultimate authority would be with your local inspector.From a personal perspective,I'd advise moving the bathroom and leaving plenty of "working area" ärea at the service panel for any future work which may be required.Although many water mains enter near the service panel I don't know that you would want to take any chances with having all that power where people will be using water,and I'm assuming you're only speaking of a toilet and sink.I would be interested to know if this can be done at any rate.

Christopher Sparks

01:38PM | 08/28/01
Member Since: 08/09/01
29 lifetime posts
Here is the answer to your question:

In dwelling units, and guest rooms of hotels and motels, overcurrent devices, other than supplementary overcurrent protection, are not allowed to be located in bathrooms.

Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited September 30, 2002).]


08:26AM | 07/25/07
Member Since: 07/24/07
1 lifetime posts
I have a closet in my bathroom that is where the panel is currently located is this ok?


09:25AM | 07/25/07
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
The panel needs to have 30" of wall space, the door to be able to open 90 degrees, and 36" clearance in front of it. And nothing to block access

If this is a storage closet then it would not qualify as the items would block access.

If there was a closet just deep enough to hold the panel and the door was wide enough than a closet would qualify.

But this is up to inspector interpretation.

Also they might concider it as part of the bathroom and disqualify it on that grounds.


11:13AM | 07/25/07
Member Since: 03/31/05
265 lifetime posts
What Bill said, but if that is where it was when you bought the house, then you don't have to move it unless you plan to upgrade or change the panel. It would fall under the "Grandfather" rules that allow items to remain that are in violation of current codes, but may not have been in violation when the house was built.


11:42AM | 07/25/07
Member Since: 01/30/05
360 lifetime posts
any change to the bathroom wiring (the room containing the closet) including just the addition of a GFCI receptacle within would have negated the grandfather provisions. Also if this bathroom was a retro-fit, and/or any wall changes, expansions, etc. were done after the fact - would negate any grandfathering. If it is a service entrance - almost any new work brought to or from that panel would have negated any grandfathering as well.

Simple fix - close off the existing closet door, and create new door access through an unused closet wall to the hall.


07:10AM | 07/28/07
Member Since: 07/27/07
2 lifetime posts
you said this was your main panel. is it where the meter is? if so you have to get your utility company out to determine a new location. you can make your existing panel a sub-panel if the utility provider wants it in a new location. this way you won't have to extend all your wires to the new location. talk to your local building department about locating your panel in a closet. ive installed one in a closet with plenty of clearence, however, the local authority said it could not be in the closet. you can start from there

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button