Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


07:34PM | 12/22/03
Member Since: 09/23/03
22 lifetime posts
I have a 200 Amp load center in my basement. I am planning on putting a 100 amp sub panel in my upstairs utility room. I am doing this so that I can run my 2nd floor circuits from this panel.(4 bedrooms, a utility room and 2 baths.)

I know that I need to to run a 4 conductor cable from the loade center to the sub panel. I was wondering if there are any codes or requirements that I need to know about.

Does the cable need to be run in conduit? I could not find anything about this in any of my wiring books.


04:21PM | 12/23/03
Member Since: 09/25/03
47 lifetime posts
Talk to your local building inspector. When I was preparing to put in a sub-box a few years ago, I had a meeting with my inspector first. He was able to tell me exactly what would and would not pass inspection. You also want to be sure and pull a building permit and have it inspected or you might have problems with your insurance company if you ever have a wiring related claim in the future.


02:54AM | 12/24/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
524 lifetime posts
Conduit is a local code. In Chicago you need conduit.
You also need proper clearances in front of the panel. You need a clear space 30" wide, 36" deep and 6'7" high in front of the panel. That means no counters, shelves, washers, dryers, etc in that space.


06:24PM | 12/27/03
Member Since: 11/14/00
333 lifetime posts
As for the conduit question, I used to live in Chicago and dealt with that Chicago Code requiring conduit for ALL electrical wiring, which is absolutely ridiculous. (As I have mentioned in other threads, I call it the "full-employment electricians' union code" because it merely entails that electricians do most of the electrical work because it is too much of a hassle for DIYers).

Elsewhere, conduit is generally required ONLY for exposed runs (outside of walls or ceilings) so as to protect it from being snagged by anything. (For instance, I took down the drywall from my ceiling and exposed the beams, and I needed to run the circuits that ran through the ceiling through metal conduit instead of the NM cable that was there.) For everything else, you can use ordinary Non-Metallic (sheathed electrical cable-like) cable inside the wall. Just make sure that the gauge is sufficient for the amperage carried by the wires.

[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited December 27, 2003).]

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button