11:03PM | 04/23/04
Member Since: 04/23/04
3 lifetime posts
I am replacing the old sub-panel in my garage with a new one but placing it further towards the back. Can I run my new feeder cables inside of flex conduit along the walls (outside of the drywall) from the old panel area to the new or do I have to use rigid EMT pipe? Obviously the cost of pipe is much greater than the conduit. I'd like to get by with the conduit if at all possible.

I live in California in case the code differs from state to state.

Tom O

04:43PM | 04/24/04
Member Since: 09/17/02
477 lifetime posts
Things must really be different in California, Flex, of any type, always costs more than EMT where I live. Not only that, the cost of connectors for flex is also much higher.

Anyhow, I used to live in California & it seemed to me that at that time that everyplace required an inspection, even in unincorporated areas. Therefore, you should direct your questions to the authority having juridiction for a definitive answer.



06:47PM | 04/28/04
Member Since: 04/27/04
3 lifetime posts
hi Montyjoe,

i don`t thing you can legal run any cable outside the wall, next week i`m getting another final inspection and i`am going to ask him how that works, but as i said i haven`t seen cable run (legal) outside the drywall so far, but who knows, just build a box around it ;-) and i live in socali and if you have another question let me know , my inspector is pretty cool i can pick his brain :-)


10:47AM | 05/17/04
Member Since: 02/20/04
52 lifetime posts
I am not a licensed electrician but work with many that are. I don't believe that you can run flex conduit to the new panel, but you will wan to check with your local building inspector. As to the surface mounting this is not normally an issure if the wire is in conduit, "but the type of conduit may also be an issue for you. There is the EMT that you mentioned which will generally meet code but there are 2 additional type intermediate IMC and Rigid conduit. The can be cases that one of these might be required. I would gather that you are leaving in the old panel or replacing it with a new "J box". Any cable splices MUST be in a jbox and there are specific size arequirements appicable to these depending on wire size and number of conductors.. This really sounds like a project for a licensed electrician.



02:22AM | 08/15/04
Member Since: 11/24/01
9 lifetime posts
As far as I know any exposed or surface wiring inside a garage should be in conduit,EMT. I would use EMT for the Line side of the sub panel and Metal Clad, BX, or FMC, for your branch ciruits. P.S. keep in mind that on a sub panel the ground buss and the neutral buss are NOT Bonded...
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... This spacious mudroom just off from the laundry room has plenty of room for tucking towels away and drying off after a dip... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon