04:40AM | 06/26/00
Our house is 70 years old. under the damaged drywall is wall paper, and under that are boards- not lath for plaster, but 1x6 boards, so the walls are entirely covered with wood.

What is a good solution for covering the boards once we take down the damaged drywall and wall paper. the boards are not going to be a smooth surface. What can we do besides more drywall/ dry wall?


11:50AM | 07/06/00
Member Since: 07/05/00
4 lifetime posts
I don't have an answer for you but I do have similar questions posted all over the place.
A friend was over last night who told me that you can staple or nail wire over the boards and put texture (just enough to cover the wire) over it and then paint it. The wire keeps the plaster or joint compound or whatever you use, from cracking. I don't know if that would work and he didn't seem sure either but at least it is more answer than I have received from anyone else.
I noticed that you also have a question about fiberglass cloth. Is that a possibility to go over the wood for painting?


07:39PM | 07/06/00
kerry- I'm not sure if this will come out as a reply to you- or will just be a another reply to my own message. We also heard the plaster-over- chicken-wire-sugestion from someone. I don't think I'm up to do it yourself plaster. We are looking into fiberglass wallcovering because of the claims that it can be used to cover imperfect walls. But it seems to be marketed only as a commercial product.

What I really want to find out now is how hang wallpaper over tacked up muslin. That is what was done in the house way back when. So I'm still looking for info! Good luck to you.


09:11AM | 07/07/00
Member Since: 07/05/00
4 lifetime posts
OK, I can help with that. Mother used to do it and that is what is on the walls in the house that I want information about how to paint instead of wall paper.
You just tack the muslin up. Use a good many tacks because you don't want any pouffing out, and then apply the wall paper just as you would over drywall. Only problem is, when I have seen this done it was done by putting paste on the wallpaper, long before pre-pasted. I don't know if the paste on the pre-pasted would be strong enough. My suggestion, always, is try and see. Put up a piece, top to bottom, expecting it to stay there and wait a week and see if it still is holding fast. If not, take it down and apply paste and put it up again.
In the old house that we are considering buying, the muslin has come loose from the wall in places because it has torn away from the tacks but the paper is still sticking fast to it.
One other concern is this: One room has been recently wall papered with vinyl wall covering. The paper has slightly puffed out at each crack between the 1 X 6's. Not only on the outside walls but on the ones that have other rooms beyond them. I don't understand where that much air is coming from. I also don't know if the people who did the room put up muslin behind the paper or just put it directly on the boards. It isn't loose from the wall at anyplace so that I can tell and, as I said, we are only considering buying this house, it isn't mine. Anyway, I think I would use plain wallpaper instead of the vinyl or vinyl coated. At least do that unless you can get better information from someone. I keep thinking someone who does renovations to old houses professionally could tell me these things but I don't know anyone and we REALLY live out in the sticks, the other end of no where.
If I can help any other way, why don't you just e-mail me. It is [email protected] We seem to be the only people in the world interested in this problem. I certainly haven't gotten any answers and I have the same question posted on the old BB at this site and in two places on the one for HGTV.


12:55PM | 08/21/00
Member Since: 08/20/00
3 lifetime posts
I fear that the problem you are facing is a very common one when dealing with old shiplap walls. Getting them even again if next to impossible, and so I think Muslin will look quite uneven. Some rigid wall covering may be necessary, but I have also seen a heavy cloth, almost like artist canvas used where the walls were pretty flat, then paint or wallpaper applied on top of that. We would up using 1/4 inch drywall, which helped minimize the problems where the wall met the trim work.


05:41PM | 08/22/00
Member Since: 07/31/00
59 lifetime posts
You may want to consider troweling on a perma-chink product. It has elasticity and is flexible. It's weather resistant, can be painted by a product from the manufacturer, though in limited colors, and can be troweled or rolled on. I'd try it in some spots to see what affect you like.


05:41AM | 08/23/00
I have had good success with the muslin, which I stapled up and papered over with a paintable wall paper. thanks for all the ideas.
Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon