1. Should I remove the wood flooring, build my walls on top of it, or remove the flooring only where my bottom plate will go? Should I take steps to seal the floor (removing the flooring would be necessary) or just leave it as it is.
2. I want to install carpet in the room and also out in the hall, which has no wooden slats on the floor. What do I need to do to make sure the carpet can be installed? Do I need a subfloor or will it install right over the concrete. Could moisture be a problem, and would the slat flooring be enough to protect the underpad and carpeting?
3. I want to install pot lights in the ceiling. Do I have to worry about the heat from them damaging or warping the flooring above (oak flooring)?
4. Should I put a moisture barrier on the walls? I'll be using 2x3 or 2x4s and likely the rigid foam insulation.
5. I only have one window on the wall with my fireplace. Any suggestions how to balance it out? I have thought about building shelving into that end, but I'm not sure how it would look with just one window.
Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.