- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 5: Gas Fireplaces and Cedar Shingles
Cedar Shingles' Manufacture and Installation
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 5, Part 1
Around back, Eastern White Cedar sidewall shingles are ready to be installed. Keith Ball from Maibec is on site to talk with Bob about the correct installation technique. Finally, Bob takes a trip to Canada to see how they're milled.
- Part 1: Cedar Shingles' Manufacture and Installation
- Bob tours the Maibec American Classics mill in Quebec, Canada, where the cedar shingles for the center-entry Colonial house were manufactured. Maibec uses Eastern White Cedar from certified, responsibly managed forests for its shingles. The shingles come in three grades.
All Maibec shingles are resawn and rebutted using a proprietary process that ensures that the bottom of the shingle is square with the sides without requiring hand shaving on site. This makes the shingles a little more expensive initially but saves time and money on the installation and makes for a cleaner, finished look.
Bob is using the Nantucket William E. Poole Series for his Colonial project. These premium grade shingles are actually pre-finished right at the plant.
- Part 2: Touring the Heat-N-Glo Showroom
- Part 3: Gas Fireplace Installation
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL