- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 7: Exterior Painting and Kitchen Cabinet Installation
Installing Crown Point Kitchen Cabinets
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 7, Part 3
- Part 1: Exterior Painting With an Airless Sprayer
- Part 2: Crown Point Cabinet Factory Tour
- Part 3: Installing Crown Point Kitchen Cabinets
- Carpenters Bob Ryley and Pat Cloutier are installing the Crown Point cabinets in the kitchen. The first step is to unpack the cabinets and spread them out, and eyeball where they are going to go. Next, the carpenters establish where the top cabinet will be placed.
In this instance, the top line is dictated by the height of the refrigerator cabinet-- 90 inches. Pat and Ryley check the top line for plumb, locate the studs, pre-drill holes inside the cabinets to line up exactly with the studs, lift the cabinets into place, and support them temporarily with deadmen, while they fasten them to the wall.
Next, Bob helps position the corner cabinet. To ensure that the stiles of the other base cabinets that are stacked next to each other are flush and tight, Pat uses a cabinet clamp. One part of the clamp brings the two stiles together, another makes sure they are flush, and then a hole precisely positioned in the clamp allows Pat to pre-drill right through the middle of the stiles and screw the cabinets together.
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE