- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 8: Finish Trim and Cabinet Installation
Building the Fireplace
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 8, Part 1
Next, it's off to Cobb Hill again, where Bob and general contractor Mark Albee tour the interior of one of finished units checking out the high performance windows and other energy efficient features.
Back on site, carpenter Bob Ryley is installing window trim in the master bathroom as well as cherry vanity cabinets from Crown Point.
- Part 1: Building the Fireplace
- Bob talks with general contractor Ted Riley about the fireplace construction. The project started with cinder blocks in the basement. Then the brick fireplace and cinder block surround were built on top of this base.
The fire code requires the house be framed two inches away from the chimney structure. Engineered lumber was used to support the floors above. The slate hearthstone was placed on a deep bed of mortar over concrete to raise it to the height of the finished hardwood floor.
Afterward, the floor installers began their work with a double border of pre-finished maple around the hearthstone to set off the hearth.
- Part 2: Reviewing Energy Efficient Products in the Home
- Part 3: Trimming Out Bathroom Windows
- Part 4: Crown Point Bathroom Cabinets Installation
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE