- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Vermont Farmhouse > Episode 9: Stone Wall Construction and Covered Bridges
Touring Covered Bridges in New England
Project: Vermont Farmhouse, Episode 9, Part 2
- Part 1: Retaining Wall Construction
- Part 2: Touring Covered Bridges in New England
- In their heyday, from around 1820 to the early 1900s, covered bridges could be found all over New England. The ones that survive today are lovingly preserved. As Bob explains, the basic construction developed out of practicality-- wood was plentiful, and a roof protected the timber. He goes on to visit examples, and provide details, of the most popular, and enduring, covered bridge engineering.
- Part 3: Building the Foyer Staircase
- Part 4: Splitting Granite for the Retaining Wall
Bob works with the Quechee Lakes Development Company to build a residence that hearkens back to the past yet satisfies the needs of a family in the new millennium.
ALL EPISODES IN VERMONT FARMHOUSE