- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Restoration > Episode 6: Skylight Installation, Roofing, and Painting
Exterior Prep and Painting
Project: Victorian Restoration, Episode 6, Part 4
Outside, a team from Harraseeket Restoration, Inc. is installing new copper gutters and roofing on the addition connecting the main house and the barn. Finally, painting gets underway on the backside of the main house.
- Part 1: Skylight and Gable Window Installation
- Part 2: Installing Standing-Seam Copper Roofing
- Part 3: Installing Copper Gutters
- Part 4: Exterior Prep and Painting
- Bob talks with Al Roberta, who is painting the Victorian project house. The house needed a lot of prep work before painting could begin. Al is using an oil-based primer from Sherwin Williams that will both seal the house, giving it a nice hard shell, and also act as a stain-blocking agent (the new cedar shingles have a tendency to bleed).
Al is applying the primer with either a small 3-inch roller or with a cutting brush. The finish coat is a latex topcoat. It's a Sherwin Williams Duration product that goes on twice as thick as conventional paint. The topcoat is rolled and back-brushed and, weather-permitting, the job should take three weeks.
The home's new owners, a work-at-home family, have set goals to modernize the home's floor plan, update the building's mechanical and electrical systems, and add home office and work spaces for two busy professionals.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN RESTORATION