- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Restoration > Episode 10: Flooring, Glass-Block Walls and Floors, and Water Filtration
Installing Wood Laminate Flooring
Project: Victorian Restoration, Episode 10, Part 1
- Part 1: Installing Wood Laminate Flooring
- Bob meets with Fred Giuggio (from QuickStep) whose crew is installing wood laminate flooring. QuickStep is a glueless flooring. It's engineered using 8-millimeter board. The boards just click together on all four sides. The product has a 25-year stain, fade, wear, and moisture warranty, and comes in 25 different colors, including the 'bianco' selected for the barn/studio.
The crew puts the QuickStep Unisound 1/16 sound attenuating floating pad on top of the concrete slab and lays the QuickStep on top of that. It's quick and easy to install and, since it uses no glue, post-installation cleanup is a breeze.
During installation, spacers are placed around the perimeter allowing 1/4-inch for expansion. Boards are staggered to prevent joints from lining up. A board is locked in on one side, positioned as close as possible to the next locked-in board, then tapped from the end to secure the mechanism. If a board is damaged, it can be easily removed and replaced.
The product can be cut with a crosscut saw for installation around columns, etc., and it cleans with a dry mop.
- Part 2: Glass Block Floor Panel System
- Part 3: Kinetico Water Filtration System Installation
- Part 4: Update on Deck, Breezeway, and Barn/Studio
The home's new owners, a work-at-home family, have set goals to modernize the home's floor plan, update the building's mechanical and electrical systems, and add home office and work spaces for two busy professionals.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN RESTORATION