- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Restoration > Episode 13: Final House Tour
Review of the Home Office Electronics
Project: Victorian Restoration, Episode 13, Part 4
In the main house, Bob talks to Markus Earley about the lighting design in the dining area, and tours the new kitchen, before meeting with Tim Woods (from Internet Home Alliance) to talk about the "connected home" features that have been added.
- Part 1: Tour of the Home's Exterior, Lighting Design, and Completed Kitchen
- Part 2: Interlocking Beech Flooring, Anti-Static Carpeting, and the Media Room
- Part 3: Master Bathroom Tour, Sauna Installation, and Window Blinds
- Part 4: Review of the Home Office Electronics
- Bob meets with Tim Woods (from Internet Home Alliance) in the third-floor office. Tim shows off the Panasonic PBX phone system, which is ideal for a home business. It features conference calling, paging, and intercom capabilities from anywhere in the house. The web-based cam is another useful feature that allows the homeowner to monitor a room through a website, accessible from anywhere in the world.
Tim also explains that the homeowner's laptop has a wireless networking card from Cisco Systems, allowing wireless in-home internet access. In addition, the laptop has a 64MB Secure Digital (SD) card reader that downloads music onto a card, which can then be played in the homeowner's car.
Finally, Tim shows Bob the Panasonic Iris scanner. The Iris scanner interfaces with the homeowner's computer system, allowing secure access to computer files.
The home's new owners, a work-at-home family, have set goals to modernize the home's floor plan, update the building's mechanical and electrical systems, and add home office and work spaces for two busy professionals.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN RESTORATION