- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 4: Sunroom and Hot Tub
Installing a Railing on the Hot Tub Deck
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 4, Part 3
Homeowners Peter Karczmar and Cathy Lund have been working with restoration contractor Joe Wagner. Joe has done a great deal of work in the sunroom to reinforce the deck above, so it can support a hot tub. (Also, Forester Moulding has created reproductions of the deck's original railings).
- Part 1: Home Three: Roof Deck and Hot Tub Installation Project
- Part 2: Hot Tub Installation
- Part 3: Installing a Railing on the Hot Tub Deck
- Carpenter Bob Ryley helps install the new railing on the hot tub deck. The railing, a reproduction of the original by Forrester Molding and Lumber, is assembled on the roof. It's made of clear red cedar.
The railing is attached to the posts by first drilling pilot holes, then inserting long screws. To attach the finial, also made of clear cedar, a screw threaded at both ends goes into the bottom of the head, and is then screwed into place on top of the post. Finally, everything is sealed with primer before being screwed into place.
- Part 4: Laying Down the Mahogany Deck and Final Tour of Third House
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD