- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 8: Front Porch and Bathroom
Discussing Cedar Shingle Siding
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 8, Part 3
The construction team begins by applying the Georgia Pacific roofing shingles, while Bob talks to Homer Earle (from the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau) and Johannes Boonstra (from Sikkens). They discuss sidewall shingles, as carpenter Bob Ryley works at installing them.
On the porch, the columns are being stripped, and work on the landscape and hardscape gets underway. Bob takes a tour of the Architectural Brass shop, where the new door fixtures are being fabricated.
- Part 1: House Seven: Shingle-Style Renovation
- Part 2: Removing Lead Paint From Exterior Surfaces
- Part 3: Discussing Cedar Shingle Siding
- Homer Earl (from the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau) talks about what makes a quality shingle. Red cedar has properties that make it resistant to weather, insects, and decay. This red cedar comes from British Columbia. A representative from Sikkens remarks on the wood finish for the shingles, which imparts a deep, rich color, as well as UV protection.
- Part 4: Replicating Brass Door Hardware
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD