- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 9: Two More Porch Renovations
Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 9, Part 3
- Part 1: House Eight: Side Porch Renovation, Landscaping, and Home Inspection
- Part 2: Installing Sprinkler System and Replicating Porch Balusters & Railing
- Part 3: Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
- Landscapers plant arborvitaes along the driveway. When the plantings mature, they will provide a privacy screen. On the side entrance, the columns are back in place and supporting a bay window. The roof has been restructured with new dimensional lumber and LVLs from Georgia Pacific.
In addition, an alarm system by ADT is installed. Sensors are placed in about a dozen locations on the doors and windows. These sensors are monitored by motion detectors and a wireless transmitter that is connected to a central control panel, which will prompt police response if activated.
John Ferrari (from Greens Keeping) is hydro-seeding the lawn. On the front porch, general contractor Brian Wiggin and his crew from Regal Home improvements are installing the balusters and composite railing from Forester Moulding and Lumber. The pieces are pre-fit to accommodate the irregularities in the existing structure. After a coat of primer, this section of the balustrade will be finished. Installing the balustrade on the stairs presents its own challenges.
- Part 4: Finishing Touches on the Two Porches
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD