- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 9: Two More Porch Renovations
Installing Sprinkler System and Replicating Porch Balusters & Railing
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 9, Part 2
Bob joins homeowner Jim Verity, whose front and side porch are under renovation. On the side of the house, Contractor Steve Barnes has begun demolition, and new LVLs and floor joists are going in. Out front, Bob talks with the installer and Bill Hopkins (from Forester Moulding and Lumber) about the new front railing. All the while, landscape work is underway-- hydroseeding and installation of a new sprinkler and security systems.
- Part 1: House Eight: Side Porch Renovation, Landscaping, and Home Inspection
- Part 2: Installing Sprinkler System and Replicating Porch Balusters & Railing
- The general contractor has put in new floor joists to provide solid bearing the both columns. Landscaper Jim Ferruci is planting shrubs and Ocean State Sprinkler is installing an automatic, underground sprinkler system.
Wrought-iron railing that had been installed by the previous owner is being removed and replaced by new railing-- balusters authentic to the period of the house. Last, a Forester Moulding and Lumber representative explains the baluster and railing reproduction process.
- Part 3: Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
- Part 4: Finishing Touches on the Two Porches
The theme of community building in the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, is the focus of this project. Rather than tackling one house, Bob Vila is helping 11 neighbors tackle smaller projects like porches, kitchens, bathrooms, and even a third-floor artist's studio.
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD