- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 9: Two More Porch Renovations
House Eight: Side Porch Renovation, Landscaping, and Home Inspection
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 9, Part 1
Bob joins homeowner Jim Verity, whose front and side porch are under renovation. On the side of the house, Contractor Steve Barnes has begun demolition, and new LVLs and floor joists are going in. Out front, Bob talks with the installer and Bill Hopkins (from Forester Moulding and Lumber) about the new front railing. All the while, landscape work is underway-- hydroseeding and installation of a new sprinkler and security systems.
- Part 1: House Eight: Side Porch Renovation, Landscaping, and Home Inspection
- Jim Verity's home was built in 1905. It has a side entry, once a porch, which will be restored using the original columns, found by Verity in the basement . The columns were removed thirty years prior, when the house was divided into apartments and the porch was turned into a covered entrance.
BBR Contracting is at work on demolition. In the course of the work, it's discovered that the bay window on the second floor is sagging. The architect and building inspector conclude that, when the original columns were removed, this area of the house settled. It is determined that the side porch must be shored up with LVL beams before the restored columns can be put in place.
- Part 2: Installing Sprinkler System and Replicating Porch Balusters & Railing
- Part 3: Landscaping, Front Column Installation, and Home Security System
- Part 4: Finishing Touches on the Two Porches
The theme of community building in the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, is the focus of this project. Rather than tackling one house, Bob Vila is helping 11 neighbors tackle smaller projects like porches, kitchens, bathrooms, and even a third-floor artist's studio.
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
More From Bob Vila