- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 10: Front Porch Restoration
Painting Shingles and Shutters, Landscaping, and Hardscaping
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 10, Part 3
Bob talks with architect Alan Berry about his plans for the porch, and contractor Terry Bates gets demolition underway. Carpenter Bob Ryley helps with the ceiling joists, and he and Bob talk about the new columns that have gone up. The front façade is getting a new paint job, and Randy Withers (from Withers Custom Shutters) and Bob discuss the shutters. Landscape work takes place, including the creation of a cobblestone edgeway and installation of a new sprinkler system.
Finally, Bob tours the finished porch with the homeowners. Pier 1 furniture and an outdoor sound system from Sonance are featured. Additional information is available about hydroseeding lawns and creating custom millwork.
- Part 1: Restoring the Front Porch
- Part 2: Weaving Cedar Shingles and Prepping Damaged Wood Trim for Painting
- Part 3: Painting Shingles and Shutters, Landscaping, and Hardscaping
- Contractors put the finishing touches on the front porch by adding new Yellow Pine shutters and a coat of Sherwin Williams latex paint to the exterior. The Sherwin Williams latex paint product is Duration, which is 70% thicker than regular latex paints and easy to apply.
The shutters are being restored before being put back on the house. Randy Withers (from Withers Industries) talks about how the shutters are made from pressure-treated re-kiln-dried Southern Pine, which is close to furniture grade. The shutters are ready to take alkyd-based primer and then two coats of finish. The hardware for the shutters is wrought-steel with zinc coating.
Pressure-treated posts are added to the front porch in preparation for the installation of the new custom railing and balusters. Landscaping gets underway; fieldstone is delivered for the front walkway. Grey granite cobblestones are brought in to make an edged border. A shrub border goes down along the walkway and a sprinkler system is installed.
- Part 4: The Font Porch, Façade, and Yard
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD