Hello. Tonight I was painting the basement ceiling in my 50-year-old house. Before starting, I wanted to clean the two bent glass ceiling fixtures. I unscrewed the bottom nuts and removed the glass plates. However, just above where the glass was, where it rested against the top of the bolt, there was what appeared to be a spacer/washer, but it was made of what appeared to be dryer lint. It didn't fall off when I took off the glass plate, but just kind of stuck there. It was the darnedest thing I've ever seen. I assume it was there to keep the glass from smashing against the metal when the bottom nut was tightened. Has anyone ever seen a linty spacer/washer of this sort before? It was grey in color, looking as if it came from the dryer lint trap, but was the perfect shape of a washer, with just a few frayed edges. I threw them away because they looked dirty and I feared they might contain asbestos. Does anyone know? Many thanks.
Yes I have seen them before. I always thought they were just felt. Never thought they were asbestos. I have to say I do not know for sure. Although I doubt it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes