Hello. Tonight I was painting the basement ceiling in my 50-year-old house. Before starting, I wanted to clean the two bent glass ceiling fixtures. I unscrewed the bottom nuts and removed the glass plates. However, just above where the glass was, where it rested against the top of the bolt, there was what appeared to be a spacer/washer, but it was made of what appeared to be dryer lint. It didn't fall off when I took off the glass plate, but just kind of stuck there. It was the darnedest thing I've ever seen. I assume it was there to keep the glass from smashing against the metal when the bottom nut was tightened. Has anyone ever seen a linty spacer/washer of this sort before? It was grey in color, looking as if it came from the dryer lint trap, but was the perfect shape of a washer, with just a few frayed edges. I threw them away because they looked dirty and I feared they might contain asbestos. Does anyone know? Many thanks.
Yes I have seen them before. I always thought they were just felt. Never thought they were asbestos. I have to say I do not know for sure. Although I doubt it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!