Hello. Tonight I was painting the basement ceiling in my 50-year-old house. Before starting, I wanted to clean the two bent glass ceiling fixtures. I unscrewed the bottom nuts and removed the glass plates. However, just above where the glass was, where it rested against the top of the bolt, there was what appeared to be a spacer/washer, but it was made of what appeared to be dryer lint. It didn't fall off when I took off the glass plate, but just kind of stuck there. It was the darnedest thing I've ever seen. I assume it was there to keep the glass from smashing against the metal when the bottom nut was tightened. Has anyone ever seen a linty spacer/washer of this sort before? It was grey in color, looking as if it came from the dryer lint trap, but was the perfect shape of a washer, with just a few frayed edges. I threw them away because they looked dirty and I feared they might contain asbestos. Does anyone know? Many thanks.
Yes I have seen them before. I always thought they were just felt. Never thought they were asbestos. I have to say I do not know for sure. Although I doubt it.