Decades ago we had a two story house built. It includes a beautiful wood staircase that was covered with individual pieces of carpeting tacked over each step in what the builder called a "waterfall" fashion at the time when I complained about it.
What it really was, as I realized at the time, was a cheap way out of offering what should have been good worksmanship to make a staircase as beautiful as it could have been.
I really expected the shape of the step to be showcased through that carpeting. As it was, I was happy to have been provided a flat type non patterned carpet (at my own expense of course) rather than the prevailing theme of the time (in the 70s) which was horrendously patterned shag style carpeting.
The floor and the staircase all match but the staircase has been hidden all these years under the pieces of carpet that do not conform to the shape of the stairs but are simply tacked where the risers meet the horizontal parts of the steps. Not only that, but the steps rise to the second floor above an unfinished basement.
When you are in the basement you can look up and see the bottom of the wooden staircase. It is not insulated and I am sure that the house would be lots warmer if that staircase was somehow protected on the bottom from the cold.
What can I do so that I might enjoy the look of the stairs without having to rip out all of the carpeting in the main part of the house which includes the livingroom downstairs, the staircase and a 4X20ft. balcony that runs across the house at the top of the stairs on the second level. Also, how do I insulate the bottom of the stairs?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY