Decades ago we had a two story house built. It includes a beautiful wood staircase that was covered with individual pieces of carpeting tacked over each step in what the builder called a "waterfall" fashion at the time when I complained about it.
What it really was, as I realized at the time, was a cheap way out of offering what should have been good worksmanship to make a staircase as beautiful as it could have been.
I really expected the shape of the step to be showcased through that carpeting. As it was, I was happy to have been provided a flat type non patterned carpet (at my own expense of course) rather than the prevailing theme of the time (in the 70s) which was horrendously patterned shag style carpeting.
The floor and the staircase all match but the staircase has been hidden all these years under the pieces of carpet that do not conform to the shape of the stairs but are simply tacked where the risers meet the horizontal parts of the steps. Not only that, but the steps rise to the second floor above an unfinished basement.
When you are in the basement you can look up and see the bottom of the wooden staircase. It is not insulated and I am sure that the house would be lots warmer if that staircase was somehow protected on the bottom from the cold.
What can I do so that I might enjoy the look of the stairs without having to rip out all of the carpeting in the main part of the house which includes the livingroom downstairs, the staircase and a 4X20ft. balcony that runs across the house at the top of the stairs on the second level. Also, how do I insulate the bottom of the stairs?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes