Our home had vinyl siding which we hated. We tore this siding off. Under it we have the old tongue and groove type siding which is not rotten, but we don't want to restore.
The second layer is the raked cedar siding(a double course with non raked underneath raked). This siding is in decent shape except the south side wich we had to remove.
Here is the problem. Our windows sit out a bit (they are newer ones than the house). So when you put a new molding around the window the siding has too much of a gap (the siding sits back too far).
We were wondering if we can go over this raked siding and just add another layer of it on top? This way we'd have new siding without all the removal costs and our windows would sit the way they should. It is a perfect fit witht he moldings this way.
If this can be done can you follow the same lines of the old shakes and fill the hollow with strips so they have support? Also...do you need to drop down a half inch for the drip line? We live in OR so we have lots of rain.
Thank you for any advise you can offer. By the way the shakes have the maximum 14 inch drop on an 18 inch shake.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs