Our home had vinyl siding which we hated. We tore this siding off. Under it we have the old tongue and groove type siding which is not rotten, but we don't want to restore.
The second layer is the raked cedar siding(a double course with non raked underneath raked). This siding is in decent shape except the south side wich we had to remove.
Here is the problem. Our windows sit out a bit (they are newer ones than the house). So when you put a new molding around the window the siding has too much of a gap (the siding sits back too far).
We were wondering if we can go over this raked siding and just add another layer of it on top? This way we'd have new siding without all the removal costs and our windows would sit the way they should. It is a perfect fit witht he moldings this way.
If this can be done can you follow the same lines of the old shakes and fill the hollow with strips so they have support? Also...do you need to drop down a half inch for the drip line? We live in OR so we have lots of rain.
Thank you for any advise you can offer. By the way the shakes have the maximum 14 inch drop on an 18 inch shake.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips