Our home had vinyl siding which we hated. We tore this siding off. Under it we have the old tongue and groove type siding which is not rotten, but we don't want to restore.
The second layer is the raked cedar siding(a double course with non raked underneath raked). This siding is in decent shape except the south side wich we had to remove.
Here is the problem. Our windows sit out a bit (they are newer ones than the house). So when you put a new molding around the window the siding has too much of a gap (the siding sits back too far).
We were wondering if we can go over this raked siding and just add another layer of it on top? This way we'd have new siding without all the removal costs and our windows would sit the way they should. It is a perfect fit witht he moldings this way.
If this can be done can you follow the same lines of the old shakes and fill the hollow with strips so they have support? Also...do you need to drop down a half inch for the drip line? We live in OR so we have lots of rain.
Thank you for any advise you can offer. By the way the shakes have the maximum 14 inch drop on an 18 inch shake.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools