We live in Englewood, Colorado, and had a 3 car garage built in our backyard...we still have a fairly large yard, but since the garage was built, our yard has become more dirt than grass....It is winter time here and I don't know what to do with it...I want to have my beautiful grass back...but don't know where to start. Please help.
One possibility is that during the construction of your garage, there might have been a lot of construction "traffic" driving on, or parked on your lawn. That would cause quite a bit of compaction of the topsoil. And once the topsoil is compacted like that, it's quite difficult to get grass to grow again. If it's your entire backyard, and there was nothing parked there, or driven there, or stored in piles there, then it's probably another reason. But this one's common to many construction sites. Loosening the soil and then reseeding may solve that. Simple plug aeration before reseeding may also help.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide