remodelling around a furnace
Sounds to me that you need to talk to your local Building Inspector.
There are codes that come into play for the work you are going to undertake.
I know, permits, we don't need no stinking permits, right. Wrong!
You will need to have inspections done to make sure that you do have enough make-up air for the furnace and that you have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. A louver door may work if you do not make a bedroom down there adjacent to it.
I would ask the inspector to guide you as to what they will require and I'd lean on a seperate mechanical room with outside make up air. you could suffacate yourself by having the furnace and you trying to use the same oxigen.
If you decide to make a work room down there, what are you going top do to control the sawdust?
Even if you do not make any bedrooms down there, you should, for your families safety, though not required, provide the proper egess to get out in the event of a fire.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!