I am getting ready to buy and install a Filtrete brand under-sink water filter, and in anticipation of this task I looked at the water lines under the sink just now. I immediately noticed that the cold water line is a stiff 1980s-era ringed-looking silver type of line (the type that looks like a trachea/windpipe) and I forsee it easily cracking when I start moving it around.
Therefore I am considering replacing that line completely with a length of PEX as part of this job.
My questions are:
1) Is my suspicion on target? Is this line likely to rupture if I start flexing it as the filter installation will no doubt require?
2) Is there anything in particular I would need to know to do that as a plumbing newbie?
3) Videos I've seen about PEX don't make it look like it's very flexible either with regard to doing "C" or "U" curves. Am I wrong about that?
I usually use braided stainless steel or nylon flexible supply lines for that. It's a good compromise of reliability and ease of use. It's good and flexible, won't kink, and easy to work with as opposed to the chrome plated copper.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Steps to Paradise in Your Own Backyard
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 15 Plants Perfect for Hanging Baskets
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Corral Kids' Clutter with 15 DIY Storage Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps