I have a trench, I guess you'd call it, measuring about 4" wide by 3" deep running around most of the perimeter of my basement's poured concrete floor.
The problem is that there's water leaking in from somewhere around the concrete block walls and remaining in this trench. It's gotten to the point where there's mold growing in it.
What do I do to clean all the crud out of it? And what could I use to fill it in? (I have no idea why the house is constructed this way...if not for the trench, any water that got in would run straight to the floor drain).
TIA for any suggestions.
I saw that a few people share something in common! a little trench in the basement floor along the wall. These are chipped out to channel water to a drain or a pump. the trench keeps the water from overspreading the floor. To anyone looking to buy a house this is a surefire sign the basement has water! Older houses with people in the generations before us lived with the problem. Today our mindsets are different. The only real way to stop the water is to install an exterior footing drain [that is dig down to the footing outside of the house 6 feet down,install swiss pipe crushed stone & backfill.] The easier way is to install a drain in the basement. Both are labor intensive,plus contractors charge big bucks for this work. MiniFoxx I'd suggest a sump pump installation; Dig a hole in the lowest spot on the floor get a plastic sump [drill some holes to let the water in] and get a pump put it in the hole and pipe the outlet to the outside&plug it in. I hope I've been of some help.C.
MiniFoxx, your water is not getting to the pump. Two reasons for this 1)The pump is on the high end of the floor. Remember water flows down hill. 2) The pump is there strictly for the washing machine. My answer is to go ahead and put in a sump pump for to solve the standing water problem. You'll be happy you did. C.
Cracked Basement wall on a new home that is currentl...
cracked basement wall
Basement wall seeping below sewer stack
Basement Wall Repair
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes