I have dual heat pumps, 1 in the attic and 1 in the basement. My question is how do I insulate the attic to be the most enery efficient?
The house is 3000 sq ft., built in 1970, with ~5 in of blown in insulation in the attic. There are 3 square 12" roof vents cut in along the south face of the roof and none on the north side. However, the previous owner had heating wires on the rain gutters on the none vented side.
Since the heat pump sits in the attic and it looks like there have been roof ventilation problems, I'm not sure how best to insulate the heat pump.
I am aware of the "cold roof" design which should stop the icing problem caused by the lack of air along the underside of the roof. However, in the winter the heat pump is in the unconditioned space of the house and will really have to work hard to heat the 2nd floor.
I've thought about either wrapping the heat pump and flexible ducts (already insulated) with more insulation. Also, I've considered building a an insulated knee wall and ceiling around the heat pump and octopus-like ducting system to create a semi-conditioned space for the heat pump and ducts and still allow the roof to be cold to prevent ice dams.
The heat pump is a few years old and has an energy efficienct rating.
Also in the summer the attic is very hot. There is no ridge vent and I really don't want to cut one in. There are gable vents with a fan on one end. The roof is a standard pitch and has asphalt type shingles.
I've thought about a whole house fan to draw out the hot summer air. However, the loose insulation is not covered by plywood, so I'm concered that it will blow around.
So, what's the best solution? What do I do about the heat pumps, ducts and ventalation?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes