so im converting a large attic area to a bedroom, the kneewalls are approximatly 50 inches tall and there are soffit vents at there, at the peak or ridge there is approximatly 2 feet between the collar ties and the ridge with 3 standard roof vents for the 12 foot span....
i am having a problem with what to do with insulating the sloped area from the top of the kneewall to the flat section of the ceiling that is approximatly 7 feet in length
the sloped area of the roof is framed with 2x6.... i read where a vent space of 1 inch is recommended to seperate the insulation from the roof sheathing, but if I do that I will only have room for at most 4.5 inches of insulation or so... i can put r-21 5.5 inch insulation to fill the cavity completly.... what is more important, the vent channels from the kneewall to the ceiling or higher r value in this sloped area
the house was built in 1950, 2x6 roof framing with 1x6 roof sheathing, the actual sloped area is about 7 feet from top of kneewall to edge of flat ceiling and about 11 feet in length....
im thinking of just filling with r-21 with a vapor barrier then drywall...
heating/cooling finished attic
Improving insulation/ventilation in finished attic
Adding to insulation in my attic
Best house fan for finished attic?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes