so im converting a large attic area to a bedroom, the kneewalls are approximatly 50 inches tall and there are soffit vents at there, at the peak or ridge there is approximatly 2 feet between the collar ties and the ridge with 3 standard roof vents for the 12 foot span....
i am having a problem with what to do with insulating the sloped area from the top of the kneewall to the flat section of the ceiling that is approximatly 7 feet in length
the sloped area of the roof is framed with 2x6.... i read where a vent space of 1 inch is recommended to seperate the insulation from the roof sheathing, but if I do that I will only have room for at most 4.5 inches of insulation or so... i can put r-21 5.5 inch insulation to fill the cavity completly.... what is more important, the vent channels from the kneewall to the ceiling or higher r value in this sloped area
the house was built in 1950, 2x6 roof framing with 1x6 roof sheathing, the actual sloped area is about 7 feet from top of kneewall to edge of flat ceiling and about 11 feet in length....
im thinking of just filling with r-21 with a vapor barrier then drywall...
Insulating the ceiling in the garage
Improving insulation/ventilation in finished attic
heating/cooling finished attic
Adding to insulation in my attic
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight