I have a house that was built in 1899. It still has the original wooden windows, and also has old aluminum storm windows that have two glass panes and one screen pane. The problem I am having is that the previous owner lost some of the glass pane inserts...so during the winter, some of my inside windows are unprotected and allowing a lot a air through... From what I hear, I cannot get replacement aluminum storm window inserts, and I am outta luck until I replace the complete window. Are there any replacement glass pane inserts for these old aluminum storm windows, or am I really out of luck? Anyone who can help, please respond.
Almost any glazier can easily fabricate aluminum framed panes to replace your missing storm panes. Look in the yellow pages under glass. The frames, gaskets and spring clips are easily fabricated and a sheet of glass inserted. Purchasing storm windows is an alternative. Usually they are mounted with a flange under the outside casing molding. A glazier is not a terribly expensive tradesman, and can advise you on the best alternative, take measurements and install the replacement. Usually no obligation for the estimate.
vinyl clad vs aluminum clad replacement windows
vinyl replacement windows
should I put storm windows
Can I replace damaged screen/glass inserts for my st...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight