I have a house that was built in 1899. It still has the original wooden windows, and also has old aluminum storm windows that have two glass panes and one screen pane. The problem I am having is that the previous owner lost some of the glass pane inserts...so during the winter, some of my inside windows are unprotected and allowing a lot a air through... From what I hear, I cannot get replacement aluminum storm window inserts, and I am outta luck until I replace the complete window. Are there any replacement glass pane inserts for these old aluminum storm windows, or am I really out of luck? Anyone who can help, please respond.
Almost any glazier can easily fabricate aluminum framed panes to replace your missing storm panes. Look in the yellow pages under glass. The frames, gaskets and spring clips are easily fabricated and a sheet of glass inserted. Purchasing storm windows is an alternative. Usually they are mounted with a flange under the outside casing molding. A glazier is not a terribly expensive tradesman, and can advise you on the best alternative, take measurements and install the replacement. Usually no obligation for the estimate.
vinyl clad vs aluminum clad replacement windows
vinyl replacement windows
should I put storm windows
Can I replace damaged screen/glass inserts for my st...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!