I had a new roof and vinyl siding put on my 34x24' 30 year old hip roofed colonial. The original roof had aluminum ridge vent and continuous aluminum soffit vents. The contractor installed perforated vinyl soffit vents- As best I can tell they are 5.9" per square foot net free vent air(NVFA)- the issue is they are only 4" wide per linear foot.
I told him at the time of installation they did not look like they were going to provide anywhere near as much air as the aluminum vents that they were replacing, but at the time I did not take the time to learn the engineering associated with attic ventilation.
The ridge is only 8 feet long and in the best case provides 144 sq-in of NFVA.
My attic is now 145F on warm summer days.
My best estimate is the perforated vinyl soffit vent is only providing about 200 NFVA. My estimate is the original aluminum soffit vent was providing about 550 NFVA
The contractor is recommending an roof fan.
I'm leaning to push him to replace the perforated vinyl with a vinyl or pvc product that would provide the original 550 NFVA.
As best I can tell he did not do ANY calculations before choosing the perforated vinyl soffits.
What would the experts recommend?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs