I have a wood stove in my bathroom. I have built an alcove for it but I'm unsure if the clearances are any good. The 3 walls surrounding it are wood framed, insulated then covered with durock and hung on the durock is arizona flagstone. The area around the wood stove is about 10" on either side and 16" to the back. Is this a safe distance?
Thanks in advance
If you got your permits, then call the local fire department. They have inpectors that will answer your question and the cost is free.
There are local building ordinances that must dictate the information that you need. Everyplace is different so there is no one set answer. If the fire department is of no help then go to your municipal building inspector.
I've been a firefighter for over twenty years and have seen fires caused by wood stoves too close to walls. The clearances you descibe sound pretty close to me, but alot depends on the stove. Try your stove manufacturer, they should provde UL approved installation guides. Also, your local Fire Dept should be anle to help you out. Keep in mind, if possible, an air space between the drywall and the covering, in your case the stone, helps alot. But, keep the top and bottom open to allow airflow through the space. Be safe!!
Be sure to check clearance and safety of the pipe going into the ceiling or wall chimney...mine curved into the wall chimney and with the panels on the ceiling it was 17-1/2 inches from the ceiling...my insurance company would not cover fire damage due to the woodstove being used until I lowered that pipe the half inch to the required 18" minimum...they wrote that clause in the contract and I had to show proof of the change before it could be modified...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps