Installin a new Interior Wall
IMO, the EASIEST way to do this job is if the carpeting is glued. If it is, you cut out where you will be nailing your base plate. (Use pressure treated wood on slab.) If it's not glued, I'd still remove the carpeting but I'd have a Pro do the tack strips and the base plate. Both can be done at the same time. Wherever you have the opening, I'd leave the carpet there and consider using a 'suspended' french close door, and have the bottom trimed if necessary to clear the carpet's height. Or, suspended sliders. (Watch out for any door w/glass on it. If the bottom needs to be cut, you DON'T want to have to deal w/that!)
Using a high-powered nail gun could be tricky. You get one shot (not to coin a pun) at making the hole. If it doesn't take, you can't reuse the bad hole. Be SURE you get a complete explaination on this from the Rental Agency. Get a BUNCH more shots than you think you'll need. It may be worth having a Pro come in. Since this is tricky, the Pro would also kick the carpet in place too. Again, it's my opinion, based on what little I know on what you know.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll get someone in to frame the wall and tack the carpet. I'll hang the drywall and finish the job. I'll watch what they do in case I want to do that elsewhere. (I was thinking about a room separator for the living room and dining area...they are one big continuous room now).
Interior Stone walls
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
New partition wall
Q-- is there a max size/weight for upper cabinets?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers