Small job = Sand well with gradually finer grits of sandpaper and give it a couple coats of amber shellac sanding lightly between coats...rub out with very fine steel wool and some lemon oil...rub dry with soft cloth.
Medium job = Get a bunch of cans of colored glop at the hardware store and start playing around with mixing different colors of stains to make one wood color look more similar to another.
The bottom line is this. Any finish is only as good as the prep work done. Sand, sand sand. Keep the tiny bits and brush hairs out of your finish (vac or tack). Use high quality materials and tools. Follow directions. In almost every case many light coats are better than few thick drippy coats.
Most important: Soft woods look like crap If they are stained bare. You really need to sand well and apply some sort of sealer or conditioner. Naturally finished wood never goes out of style.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!