Opinions on a freezer
The 'flash' defrost was nice; to defrost you'd hit a button that turned on heaters inside; melted it up pretty quick. Not sure they have that feature or not anymore (probably have even better features now).
We liked the chest design, as you lost very little cold when you opened the door. Plus, it is very unlikely that you'd ever accidentally leave the door open, causing everything to spoil. The fact that the cold air "sinks" and stays in the chest was the main reason we went with that design.
As for 'frost free'--we don't have personal experience with those. I'd think the luxury it provides would not only cost more, but their built-in periodic defrostings might cause food to last not quite as long.
We sold our freezer probably 7 years ago and still miss it! Don't eat all that beef at once, OK?
** Are there any brands I should avoid? **
There are only a limited number of freezer manufacturers left in the market place, all the other appliance manufacturers just rebrand those with their own brand names. Frigidaire had 68% of the domestic market share in 2002 and WC Wood 21%.
You can see whom makes what brand of freezer in the "Who makes what" page in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.
IMO both makes are about the same quality although Wood's replacement parts prices are usually significantly lower than Frigidaire's but may not be as readily accessible (few places sell them).
BTW. If you ask the butcher to pre-freeze the meat for you it will put less strain on the freezer than loading a whole (or even 1/2) side of beef into it at one time. Only full size freezers would even be able to handle such a load adequately.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited September 27, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight