I'm purchasing a house with 850 sq ft and having central h/a put in on an EEM (energy efficient morgage) The price I've been quoted from the company that handles all the paperwork, bids, etc. is $5,725. This will include:
a 2-ton unit on the roof
all duct work
infiltration test and plugging of air leaks at doors,light switches,outlets,pipes,etc
R-19 insulation added to attic to bring it up to R-38
greensmart powerplanner gadget for refrigerator
removing (and patching holes left from)a wall a/c and wall gas heater.
The unit will be either a Trane or Ruud.
I live in central California just south of Sacramento. I've been trying to get a idea as to whether or not this is a reasonable deal or not. I haven't had a chance to call around and check. Anyone out there who has had experience in having central h/a put in want to give me an opinion?
Price seems high. You can savbe by laying down the insulatin in the attick yourself. Unless you are a neurosurgeon, your savings per work of work will be substantial. Forget the door and window weatherstripping. You need SOME fresh air inside. Put the AC condensing unit on the GROUND on concrete blocks, with the block cell perpendicular to the ground. Get a quote ONLY for the AC and heating from three different contractors. and get the quotes in WRITING as to exactly what you are getting. RUUD is a good unit.
Wife Wants Central A/C Now! Before the quote, what...
wall a/c unit
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!