I'm purchasing a house with 850 sq ft and having central h/a put in on an EEM (energy efficient morgage) The price I've been quoted from the company that handles all the paperwork, bids, etc. is $5,725. This will include:
a 2-ton unit on the roof
all duct work
infiltration test and plugging of air leaks at doors,light switches,outlets,pipes,etc
R-19 insulation added to attic to bring it up to R-38
greensmart powerplanner gadget for refrigerator
removing (and patching holes left from)a wall a/c and wall gas heater.
The unit will be either a Trane or Ruud.
I live in central California just south of Sacramento. I've been trying to get a idea as to whether or not this is a reasonable deal or not. I haven't had a chance to call around and check. Anyone out there who has had experience in having central h/a put in want to give me an opinion?
Price seems high. You can savbe by laying down the insulatin in the attick yourself. Unless you are a neurosurgeon, your savings per work of work will be substantial. Forget the door and window weatherstripping. You need SOME fresh air inside. Put the AC condensing unit on the GROUND on concrete blocks, with the block cell perpendicular to the ground. Get a quote ONLY for the AC and heating from three different contractors. and get the quotes in WRITING as to exactly what you are getting. RUUD is a good unit.
Wife Wants Central A/C Now! Before the quote, what...
wall a/c unit
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight