I'm purchasing a house with 850 sq ft and having central h/a put in on an EEM (energy efficient morgage) The price I've been quoted from the company that handles all the paperwork, bids, etc. is $5,725. This will include:
a 2-ton unit on the roof
all duct work
infiltration test and plugging of air leaks at doors,light switches,outlets,pipes,etc
R-19 insulation added to attic to bring it up to R-38
greensmart powerplanner gadget for refrigerator
removing (and patching holes left from)a wall a/c and wall gas heater.
The unit will be either a Trane or Ruud.
I live in central California just south of Sacramento. I've been trying to get a idea as to whether or not this is a reasonable deal or not. I haven't had a chance to call around and check. Anyone out there who has had experience in having central h/a put in want to give me an opinion?
Price seems high. You can savbe by laying down the insulatin in the attick yourself. Unless you are a neurosurgeon, your savings per work of work will be substantial. Forget the door and window weatherstripping. You need SOME fresh air inside. Put the AC condensing unit on the GROUND on concrete blocks, with the block cell perpendicular to the ground. Get a quote ONLY for the AC and heating from three different contractors. and get the quotes in WRITING as to exactly what you are getting. RUUD is a good unit.
Wife Wants Central A/C Now! Before the quote, what...
wall a/c unit
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!