We are about to buy a home and just discovered that the heat/air duct work is something called "sonatube" or "sonic tube". We've been told it is compressed cardboard with a thin aluminum foil liner. It runs under and up thru the slab foundation. The home is 23 yrs old. We have been told there is a danger of these imploding, thus blocking off air ducts. Our questions: has anyone heard of this? What's the estimated lifetime of this type product? Is there any way to replace this without tearing up the slab? The rest of the house is structurally in very good condition. And the lot drains well, no problem with pooling anywhere after a hard rain.
Implosion of this product is not a suitable word. Collaps is more like it and then it would cut off the air supply. It is rated for about50 years provided the material stays dry. There should be no reason to remove the runs unless you notice loss of air flow. If you had to,...Remove it if that is possable the concrete would provide the identical shape as the heat run did. Try not to worry about collaps of the tube. It should give years of trouble free air flow.
Help!!!! HORRIBLE SMELL in only one room in house...
Installing new central air and heat
re-routing forced air ducts
replacing radiators with hot air heat/ac
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes