We are about to buy a home and just discovered that the heat/air duct work is something called "sonatube" or "sonic tube". We've been told it is compressed cardboard with a thin aluminum foil liner. It runs under and up thru the slab foundation. The home is 23 yrs old. We have been told there is a danger of these imploding, thus blocking off air ducts. Our questions: has anyone heard of this? What's the estimated lifetime of this type product? Is there any way to replace this without tearing up the slab? The rest of the house is structurally in very good condition. And the lot drains well, no problem with pooling anywhere after a hard rain.
Implosion of this product is not a suitable word. Collaps is more like it and then it would cut off the air supply. It is rated for about50 years provided the material stays dry. There should be no reason to remove the runs unless you notice loss of air flow. If you had to,...Remove it if that is possable the concrete would provide the identical shape as the heat run did. Try not to worry about collaps of the tube. It should give years of trouble free air flow.
Help!!!! HORRIBLE SMELL in only one room in house...
Installing new central air and heat
re-routing forced air ducts
replacing radiators with hot air heat/ac
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!